News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Keywords from RAW to JPG

Started by nq270, September 26, 2021, 05:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nq270

Hello,

I have been shooting raw and jpg for some years now.

In ACDSee Ultimate 2021 I have keyworded all my RAW files, but would like to copy the keywords from RAW to JPG, if possible.

The RAW and corresponding JPG are named identically.

Is there a batch command that would do this for several thousands images, and if so how would that look ?

I am using ExifTool with the GUI interface.

Thanks for all help and support,

StarGeek

I can't really help with the GUI, it never worked on my computer and it hasn't been supported in years.  But I can offer some advice.

The first thing is to figure out what tags you actually want to copy.  Also, you need to check to see if the tags are actually embedded in the RAW file or they are in a XMP sidecar, which is more likely with RAW files.

Look at the data for one of the files.  On the command line you would use FAQ #3 to get all the data.  In the GUI, you may have to make changes to what is displayed in the workspace manager to get all the data.  See if you can find where the keywords are located, as they may be held in multiple locations.

The most likely places you will find the data will be in the XMP-acdsee:Keywords, XMP:Subject, and/or IPTC:Keywords.  The command to copy all three of these on the command line would be
exiftool -TagsFromFile /path/to/RAWS/%f.RAWEXT -XMP-acdsee:Keywords -XMP:Subject -IPTC:Keywords /path/to/Jpgs/

You didn't mention what type of RAW files you are using, so replace RAWEXT in the above commmand with the actual extension of your raw files, e.g. NEF, CR2/3, ARW, etc.  Or if you figured out that the data is embedded in an XMP sidecar file instead of the actual raw file, you would replace it with XMP.

This also assumes that the RAWs are in a different directory than the jpegs.  If they are in the same directory, you want to add the -ext (-extension) option, e.g. -ext jpg, so you don't process the RAW/XMP files by copying the data back onto itself.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

nq270

Hello StarGeek

Thanks for taking the time to reply with detailed instructions.

I am shooting with Nikon, so the raw files are *.nef.
When adding keywords in ACDSee they are then stored in *.xmp file.

I have used ExifTool and the corresponding tag in the *.xmp file is "Keywords"

I am running ExifTool Direct from the GUI with this command:

exiftool -TagsFromFile /C:/0-Images/to/RAWS/%f.xmp -XMP-acdsee:Keywords -IPTC:Keywords /C:/0-Images/to/Jpgs/

but am getting errors:

0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged
    2 files weren't updated due to errors
Warning: Error opening file - /C:/0-Images/to/RAWS/exiftool.xmp
Error: File not found - exiftool
Warning: Error opening file - /C:/0-Images/to/RAWS/.xmp
Error: File not found - /C:/0-Images/to/Jpgs/
Warning: Error opening file - /C:/0-Images/to/RAWS/2020-02-18_06-42-21.xmp
<-END-

I have ExifTool (exiftool.exe) in Windows directory

All files are in the same directory (nef, jpg and xmp).
Not sure where to add "-ext jpg"

Thank you again for your help.

StarGeek

Quote from: nq270 on September 27, 2021, 12:44:59 AM
I have used ExifTool and the corresponding tag in the *.xmp file is "Keywords"

In this case, you must be specific with XMP-acdsee:Keywords, as that tag is marked to avoid being written. Without the group name, exiftool will instead write to XMP-pdf:Keywords.

QuoteI am running ExifTool Direct from the GUI with this command:

exiftool -TagsFromFile /C:/0-Images/to/RAWS/%f.xmp -XMP-acdsee:Keywords -IPTC:Keywords /C:/0-Images/to/Jpgs/

The gui knows where exiftool is, so you don't include that.  My command was if you run it in CMD.  Also, you don't include the path to the files you want to process.  The gui will provide those based upon what files you select.

QuoteAll files are in the same directory (nef, jpg and xmp).
Not sure where to add "-ext jpg"

You can add it almost anywhere (except after -TagsFromFile), though it's probably easier to add it to the end.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

nq270

Hi StarGeek,

Not sure what I am doing wrong, as I am still getting error messages.

I will continue to try to make it work somehow,

Thanks again for your help,