Warning: [minor] Oversized SubIFD StripByteCounts

Started by zeus64, September 05, 2021, 08:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeus64

Hello,

With all the arw coming from my Sony AR7 III I have the warning:
Warning: [minor] Oversized SubIFD StripByteCounts (85120000 bytes, but expected 74480000)
when I try to update the GPS via
exiftool.exe -GPSLatitude=0 -GPSLatitudeRef=N -GPSLongitude=0 -GPSLongitudeRef=W "d:\Photos\ToUpload\_Raw\DSC00002.arw"

Do I need to worry about it? can my arw become corrupted after I ran the exiftool.exe command ?

StarGeek

I would say you might want to do some testing and make sure you have backups.

This would require Phil's attention to make sure everything is ok, but he's currently away for a few weeks.

If you can make a sample available for when he gets back, that would be helpful.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

zeus64

thanks, it's on ALL images coming out from the sony camera, so I have many samples. I will wait the return of phil to know exactly the purpose of this warning

StarGeek

The problem may be nothing at all, but the reason I advise being careful is because there's no other post regarding that camera in these forums and another Sony camera was recently writing the EXIF block incorrectly which caused exiftool to significantly increase the file size.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

I can't answer the question but why are you locating your photos as being in the Atlantic Ocean west of São Tomé?

StarGeek

Phil Harvey

This warning is not uncommon, and may safely be ignored.  It indicates there is more data in the image strips than there should be.  It seems that some cameras write extra padding or something.  However, Undersized data is a problem, so the warning isn't minor in this case.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).