Delete all jpg thumbnails saved - wherever they are stored

Started by questioner, September 07, 2021, 07:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

questioner

Hi there,

today I've learned that the jpg itself and the associated thumbnail can be two completely different pictures. If I now use exiftool -n -overwrite_original -ifd1:all= [filepath], it deletes the thumbnail and the associated information connected to it.

The question: Are there other places where thumbnails in a jpg could be saved (xmp, exif, iptc, ...)? Just want to make sure that at least thumbnails are deleted completely without any leftovers in another place of the jpg ...

Thanks!

StarGeek

Off hand, I can't think of any place in XMP or IPTC that would hold a thumbnail.

But some camera makers don't necessarily follow the EXIF standards correctly and will put other tags in the incorrect spot.  I don't recall this happening for thumbnails though.

There are other types of embedded images though.  These can usually be found by using Preview:All.

You would also want to be careful running your original command on RAW files, as they don't always have the thumbnail in IFD1 and may use IFD1 for other purposes.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).