Wrong LensID for Sigma lens in canon raw image

Started by Sebastian Fischer, October 10, 2023, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Fischer

I have detected a wrong Composite "Lens ID" value in the ExifTool output. It happens for a Canon cr2 file from a "Canon EOS 50D" with a "Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM Contemporary" lens.

The MakerNotes "Lens Model" is correct. The Composite Lens also shows 18-300, but the Composite field "Lens ID" shows a wrong output:
[MakerNotes]    Lens Type                       : Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM | A or other Sigma Lens
[MakerNotes]    Lens Model                      : 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary 014
[Composite]     Lens                            : 18.0 - 300.0 mm
[Composite]     Lens ID                         : Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM | A

With the -n parameter the raw output looks like this:
[MakerNotes]    Lens Type                       : 368
[MakerNotes]    Lens Model                      : 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary 014
[Composite]     Lens                            : 18
[Composite]     Lens ID                         : 368

I was using the newest ExifTool version 12.67

I have attached the full output (generated with ExifTool 12.63, but 12.67 has the same output in the fields mentioned above).
Command line: exiftool -G0 <file>

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  I'll add this lens to the list.  If you could attach a sample image I can check to see if it is identified properly.  Unfortunately Sigma uses the same LensType for a number of different lenses.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Sebastian Fischer

Thank you! I have sent you the sample image file directly via WeTransfer to your email.

Sebastian

Phil Harvey

Hi Sebastian,

Great, thanks.  That works.  Look for this update in 12.68.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).