Newbie drowing - PersonInImage extract help needed

Started by Bunkermentality, September 17, 2021, 12:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunkermentality

Apologies to all for my ignorance but I'm not sure where to start here. I have several folders of JPGs which contain Iptc4XmpExtension PersonInImage tags. I want to extract these into an Excel table, one row per tag. Formatting the Excel should be the easy bit. How on earth do I extract the tags from multiple files in the first place?

Thanks for your patience.

Paul

StarGeek

Try this
exiftool -csv -PersonInImage /path/to/files/ >out.csv

This will create a CSV file which can be directly loaded into Excel.  It will contain two columns.  The first is "SourceFile", which will list the filename and the second will be PersonInImage with the data from that file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Bunkermentality

Great, thanks for this. Blindingly simple. My original file also has MP tags PersonDisplayName. When I run the command below no tag names are output.

exiftool -csv -PersonInImage /path/to/files/ >out.csv

Other formats like below are rejected. Is there a tag format subtlety that I'm issing.

exiftool -csv -RegionInfo.Regions.PersonInImage /path/to/files/ >out.csv

Attachment shows tag syntax

Thanks Paul

Phil Harvey

Use this command to see all of the tag names (this is FAQ 2), then use the appropriate tag name in your CSV command.

exiftool -s FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Don't assume that the name a different program uses is going to be the same name exiftool uses.  As Phil says, use FAQ #2 to get the actual name of the tag.  You should also read FAQ #3 and use the command there to get the full list of tags including duplicated names and the groups they belong to.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Bunkermentality

Thank you both @Phil Harvey and @ StarGeek. Your point about reading the FAQs is very valid :-(

I have already learned much about the myriad different formats out there. Your replies accelerated this learning.

Paul