Copy/paste the rating of a picture

Started by benkunz, March 26, 2010, 04:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkunz

Hi,
So here is what I'd like to do. I have 2 softwares (adobe bridge + bibble) that are able to deal the star rating system of an image. Bibble creates and assign from 0 to 5 star to an image, and bridge is able to recognize on the generated images how many stars they have. Now I would like with exiftool to copy the star rating from one image to another. I've tried with "exiftool -tagsfromfile src dst" but it does not copy the star rating, but it copies other stuff (GPS,keywords,...). Do you have any idea why ? And how I could manage to copy the rating?
Thanks

Phil Harvey

The -tagsFromFile option without any tag names will copy all tags to the default locations.  It sounds like you need to be more specific than this.  Use the -a -G -s options when extracting information from the Bibble and Bridge files to see where the rating is stored, then use an argument like "-DSTGRP:DSTTAG<SRCGRP:SRCTAG" to copy the exact tag to the location you want.

If you are lucky, the rating scheme used by both softwares will have the same scale.  If not, you will have to create a user-defined tag to multiply or divide the rating by an appropriate factor.  If you give me more details about the exact tags used, I can help with this if necessary.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

benkunz

Here is the tag I want to copy:

MacBook:tague benoit$ exiftool -a -G -s _DSC7826.jpg | grep Rating
[XMP]           Rating                          : 3
MacBook:tague benoit$

What is the command to copy this tag? I tried this but did not succeed:

MacBook:tague benoit$ exiftool -XMP:Rating<XMP:Rating _DSC7826.jpg ../nontague/_DSC7826.jpg
-bash: XMP:Rating: No such file or directory
MacBook:tague benoit$

Phil Harvey

You were close, but your command copies tags within each file, instead of between files (and also is missing the required quotes around the argument containing a less-than symbol).  Try this instead:

exiftool -tagsfromfile _DSC7826.jpg -xmp:rating ../nontague/_DSC7826.jpg

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

benkunz

your command line was correct, but it did not copy the rating... I guess modifying the rating field is not enough...

Phil Harvey

There are various Rating tags.  Consult FAQ number 3 for guidance in determining the one you want.

- Phil