.ExifTool_config file not found - Linux

Started by MrVideo, November 03, 2021, 07:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrVideo

This may be related to the posting I have about v12.34 exiftool not starting.

If I point directly to it via -config (absolute path), the file is found and loaded. Again, I suspect that how ExifTool.pm looks for the executable path is not finding it because of the soft link.

Phil Harvey

Yes.  I will fix this when I fix the other problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MrVideo

Thanks. I must be the only one installing exiftool like this with a symlink.

I really like this tool, which I've used over the years. I've learned a lot of what it can do these past couple of days.

Phil Harvey

Yes.  It seems that few people use a symlink to run exiftool.

And just to be sure I get this right.  The config file was always being loaded from the directory containing the link, but this will be changed to the link target directory with 12.35.  To be honest, it would be rare for someone to notice this because the usual place for the config file is the user's home directory.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MrVideo

Placing the config in /usr/local/bin is not natural, as it was being described as being loaded from the executable's location, which is pretty much SOP for programs. Other common locations are in /etc, like /etc/samba.

Phil Harvey

Agreed.  But using a specific directory like /etc would introduce a platform dependency, which I try to avoid.

- Phil

MrVideo

I wasn't trying to imply that exiftool should use /etc as a place to place its config file(s). JDownloader2 is another program that runs out of where you place it.

MrVideo

Thanks for the fixes in 12.36.The default config file is now found.