Efficiently correct time offset in huge directory tree

Started by feklee, December 13, 2021, 03:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feklee

I forgot to adjust my Panasonic DMC-ZX1 from daylight savings time on December 31. Now I want to offset all affected files by one hour. The challenge is that they are spread over a big directory structure. As I learned in another thread, I can use exiftool to find files in a certain date range. To speed things up, I am thinking about combining find and exiftool where find looks at the last modification date. It's a bit convoluted, and I could split that up into several steps (Bash):

D=2021-10-31
M=DMC-ZX1
find . -iname "*.jpg" -newermt $D -exec exiftool -q -s3 -filename -if "\$model eq 'DMC-ZX1' and \$datetimeoriginal gt '${D//-/:}'" {} \; | while read a; do
    exiftool "-AllDates-=1" "$a"
    exiftool -"FileModifyDate<DateTimeOriginal" "$a"
done

What do you think, can that be simplified?

It's likely an issue that I'll face again.

Phil Harvey

You are suffering from common mistake #3.

Try this:

exiftool -if '$datetimeoriginal gt "2020:12:31"' -globaltimeshift -1 '-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal' -alldates -r DIR

(quoting is for Mac/Linux.  Substitute the date you want in the -if expression.)

This command is very similar to the example in the -if section of the application documentation

# add one hour to all images created on or after Apr. 2, 2006
                exiftool -alldates+=1 -if '$CreateDate ge "2006:04:02"' dir

The difference is that I am using the -globalTimeShift option to allow the times to be shifted before writing FileModifyDate.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

feklee

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 13, 2021, 07:07:25 AM
You are suffering from common mistake #3.

That was my suspicion, thank you!

Still I may combine your suggestion with find, because the directory tree is deep and I don't want ExifTool to waste time by parsing files that don't match based on their modification date and file name.

I did benchmarks in a sub directory:

$ time find . -iname "*.jpg" -newermt 2021-10-31
[...]

real    0m3.515s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.244s
$ time exiftool -if '$filemodifydate gt "2021:10:31"' -s3 -filename -q -r .
[...]

real    0m31.241s
user    0m14.148s
sys     0m5.800s

I also tried telling ExifTool to only look for JPEGs, but there were no matches:

$ time exiftool -if '$filename ~= /jpg$/i and $filemodifydate gt "2021:10:31"' -s3 -filename -q -r .

What I did in the end:

$ D=2021-10-31
$ M=DMC-ZX1
$ find . -iname "*.jpg" -newermt $D | while read a; do
    DTO=${D//-/:}
    exiftool -if '$model eq "'$M'" and $datetimeoriginal gt "'$DTO'"' -globaltimeshift -1 '-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal' -alldates -r "$a"
done

Phil Harvey

Quote from: feklee on December 14, 2021, 04:47:29 AM
I don't want ExifTool to waste time by parsing files that don't match based on their modification date and file name.

Then use -if5 instead of -if

QuoteI also tried telling ExifTool to only look for JPEGs, but there were no matches:

$ time exiftool -if '$filename ~= /jpg$/i and $filemodifydate gt "2021:10:31"' -s3 -filename -q -r .

It is much more efficient to use -ext jpg than to do this in a -if argument.

QuoteWhat I did in the end:

I still think my way will be faster:

exiftool -ext jpg -if5 '$filemodifydate gt "2021:10:31"' -s3 -filename -q -r DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

feklee

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 14, 2021, 06:57:48 AM
exiftool -ext jpg -if5 '$filemodifydate gt "2021:10:31"' -s3 -filename -q -r DIR

Neat! find is still somewhat faster, but I understand that to the above command I can also add the editing steps, and then Exiftool only needs to start once.

Already I have the files fixed, but almost certainly I'll forget to adjust the time zone of my camera again.  ;D

Phil Harvey

Yes.  My way executes ExifTool only once, which will result in a large time savings if there are a number of files to process.  But it will be slower than using "find" if there are very few files to edit.

A couple of quick tests here give a factor of 16x speed increase with -if5, plus an additional 2x with -ext jpg.

- Phil

StarGeek

While I always encourage the using native exiftool options, if find is easier for you to use, then what you should do is have find save the file list to a text file and then have exiftool use that list with the -@ (Argfile) option.  Something like
find . -iname "*.jpg" -newermt 2021-10-31 >Filelist.txt
exiftool -globaltimeshift -1 '-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal' -alldates -@ Filelist.txt
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

feklee

Quote from: StarGeek on December 14, 2021, 10:19:31 AM
-@ (Argfile) option

Thanks, this is certainly a nice alternative! That two step process feels safer.

Phil Harvey

@StarGeek: Good idea.  You could do it without a temporary file, like this:

find . -iname "*.jpg" -newermt 2021-10-31 | exiftool -globaltimeshift -1 '-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal' -alldates -@ -

- Phil