Writing to Hasselblad .fff files

Started by philbond87, January 28, 2022, 10:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbond87

I am trying to write to .fff files (using Exiftool v.12.26) and it's failing.
The documentation suggests that .fff files can be written to, provided that you ignore minor errors (-m).
I'm doing that but writing is still failing.

I'm on MacOs and am trying: exiftool -overwrite_original -m -creator="some text" <file or directory>

Shouldn't this work?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Harvey

Hi Phil,

I tried this at first with an FLIR FFF file and of course it didn't work.  But with a Hasselblad FFF file I get this:

> exiftool a.fff -make -model
Make                            : Hasselblad
Camera Model Name               : Hasselblad CFV-39
> exiftool a.fff -creator="some text"
Error: [minor] Phocus may not properly update previews of edited FFF images - a.fff
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors
> exiftool a.fff -creator="some text" -m
Warning: Phocus may not properly update previews of edited FFF images - a.fff
    1 image files updated
> exiftool a.fff -creator
Creator                         : some text
> exiftool -ver

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

philbond87

Phil,

Thanks for testing.
I am trying to update Hasselblad HD6-100D files. I also get the minor warning (but I'm suppressing it with -m.)
It doesn't appear to be updating the files.

Exact command: exiftool -overwrite_original -creator="this is a test" -m <directory>

(again, I'm using 12.26, incase that's relevant)

Phil Harvey

Quote from: philbond87 on January 29, 2022, 08:45:32 AM
It doesn't appear to be updating the files.

Please be more specific.  If you get this message, then the file was updated:

1 image files updated

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

philbond87

Sorry I wasn't clear.
I am not at my computer now but I got the same warning you showed, but then also "no files were updated due to errors."

(I also checked the files and confirmed changes weren't made.)

StarGeek

Quote from: philbond87 on January 29, 2022, 02:25:12 PMI also checked the files and confirmed changes weren't made.

How did you check?  Using exiftool or some other program.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

philbond87

Phil Harvey

Quote from: philbond87 on January 29, 2022, 02:25:12 PM
"no files were updated due to errors."

Let us know what the error was and maybe we can help more.

- Phil

philbond87

Here are details of the error messages I'm seeing:

Given the command:
exiftool -overwrite_original -creator="test creator name" -m <file>

I get the following error:

Warning: Phocus may not properly update previews of edited FFF images
Error: Error reading value for IFD0 entry 29
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

I really appreciate the help.

Phil Harvey

Not being able to read an IFD entry is serious. Could this file be corrupted? Does this happen with all your HD6-100d samples, or just this one?

I have an HD6-100c sample here that doesn't have a problem like this, but I don't have an HD6-100d sample.  If it happens with all your files, could you send me a sample so I can take a closer look?  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil