new MakerNote header "OM SYSTEM II"

Started by herb, February 24, 2022, 05:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herb

Hello Phil,

OM Digital Solutions has released its new (and first) "Olympus" Camera OM 1.
As a user of Olympus cameras I was interested in images made with this new camera.
So I downloaded some examples from  dpreview https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/om-system-om-1-initial-review#SG.

Exiftool reports errors for *.jpg and *.orf images:
MakerNotes tags xxx IFD format not handled with xxx = 0x2010, 0x2020, 0x2030, 0x2040 and 0x2050

In htmldump I have seen that OMDS introduced another MakerNote header: OM SYSTEM  II

Please have a look at this new "format".

Thanks in advance and
Best regards
herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Yes, thanks.  This is on my list of things to do.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

berliner_ffm

Hi Phil,

one addition to this request:
It seems, like exiftool is not able to extract previews from the OM-1 files. I don't know if this is related to the request above, or a separate error, or if the files indeed do not contain a preview.
I tried with the examples from DPReview and the ones from imaging-resource.com (Link: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/om-system-om-1/Y-JG-OM-1-121466-ISO-25600.ORF.HTM).

Thanks!
Jens

berliner_ffm

I dived a deeper in the files. the previews are there and i could extract them manually by looking up the Marker-Tags of the embedded jpgs.
So it might indeed be related to the error message above, that exiftool cannot extract those files at the moment.

sarunas

Duplicating 'MakerNoteOlympus2' in MakerNotes.pm for 'MakerNoteOMSystem':

>         Name => 'MakerNoteOMSystem',
>         Condition => '$$valPt =~ /^OM SYSTEM\0/',
>         SubDirectory => {
>             TagTable => 'Image::ExifTool::Olympus::Main',
>             Start => '$valuePtr + 16',
>             Base => '$start - 16',
>             ByteOrder => 'Unknown',
>         },

(note 16 byte values for Start and Base) allows to view a lot/most OMDS maker notes values. Not sure if that's a good way to go...

Tschens

Any news on the next update which hopefully solves this issue?

Phil Harvey

No progress on this yet.  I've been very busy with other things recently.  This and a few other issues are holding up the next release.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

Libraw stated to support the new OM-1.
Please have a look at: https://www.libraw.org/comment/6393#comment-6393

I hope this helps a little bit.

Best regards
herb

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 12.41 (to be released later today) will support this.

- Phil

-noel-

Hi Phil,
Thanks a lot for the new version which supports the Olympus OM-1, I've tested the new version s little bit.

One little glitch:
In the "0x0804    StackedImage" section for the OM-1 the '11 16' = Hand-held high resolution is coded as '11 12' and not '16'. Seems there has been a change for the OM-1 ...

If you need sample images, I can send you some ...

Best regards
Eberhard

Phil Harvey

That's good, I'll add this value for the next release.  Thanks!

- Phil

-noel-

Same with "MakerNotes 0x0804 StackedImages {3 64}", which is still "unknown", but is a new ND64 (6EV) NeutralDensity filter image type.

Regards
Eberhard

Phil Harvey

abgestumpft

Hi,

with Exiftool 12.41, when running on an OM-1 file I with -X option I recognized that those two tags have some trailing spaces:
<Olympus:CameraID>OM SYSTEM CAMERA               </Olympus:CameraID>
<Olympus:InternalSerialNumber>123456789               </Olympus:InternalSerialNumber>

Another question regarding OM-1 tags:
In the OM System Software (OM Workspace) there is a Tag called "Tracking Subject" containing which AI Tracking mode was used (Birds, Trains, Planes,...)
Is this tag available via Exiftool? I did not find it in the documentation and Exiftool output... In case you need some sample files for each AI Mode I can provide them.

kind regards
Sebastian

herb

Hello,

QuoteIn the OM System Software (OM Workspace) there is a Tag called "Tracking Subject" containing which AI Tracking mode was used (Birds, Trains, Planes,...)
This is a very good point; but as far as I know not specific for OM-1 camera.

This tag should also be displayed for OMD E-M1X, OMD E-M1 III (and maybe some others).
And I am sorry, I cannot share such images, because I do not own such a camera.

Best regards
herb