Despite changing Filecreatedate and FileModifydate its still...

Started by questionexif, May 12, 2022, 04:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

questionexif

its still unchanged in sites like http://exif-viewer.com/

I confirm it changed on the system exif viewer. But somehow the sites still sees it as the unchanged date.  What's the issue?

I used the following commands
-fileCreatedate="2018:10:10 10:10:10"
-fileModifydate="2018:10:10 10:10:10"

StarGeek

The issue is that you're changing the file system time stamps.  These are not embedded in the file and exist only on the drive where the files reside.  When you upload a file to another computer as you do with that site, those time stamps are lost.

If you want data to travel with the file, you need to use embedded tags such as EXIF tags.  The AllDates shortcut tag will write to the three most common EXIF time stamps

Example:
C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original -AllDates="2022:05:12 12:00:00" y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -G -a -s -AllDates y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
[EXIF]          DateTimeOriginal                : 2022:05:12 12:00:00
[EXIF]          CreateDate                      : 2022:05:12 12:00:00
[EXIF]          ModifyDate                      : 2022:05:12 12:00:00
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

questionexif

Quote from: StarGeek on May 12, 2022, 06:06:18 PM
The issue is that you're changing the file system time stamps.  These are not embedded in the file and exist only on the drive where the files reside.  When you upload a file to another computer as you do with that site, those time stamps are lost.

If you want data to travel with the file, you need to use embedded tags such as EXIF tags.  The AllDates shortcut tag will write to the three most common EXIF time stamps

Example:
C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original -AllDates="2022:05:12 12:00:00" y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -G -a -s -AllDates y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
[EXIF]          DateTimeOriginal                : 2022:05:12 12:00:00
[EXIF]          CreateDate                      : 2022:05:12 12:00:00
[EXIF]          ModifyDate                      : 2022:05:12 12:00:00

Ah so these tags are useless outside of the computer itself? So how is that site showing today date all the time?

StarGeek

No, the EXIF tags I listed are embedded in the file.  The FileCreateDate and FileModifyDate are local to that computer only.  They are part of the file system and exist on every file on the computer. 

If you're on Windows, then when you Right Click->Properties on a file, the file dates show up here

If you continue to the Details tab, then the EXIF dates, specifically DateTimeOriginal shows up here

As to what that site shows, I wouldn't know, but I'd suggest running the command in FAQ #3 to view all the tags in the file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).