Can these tags all be used to store the unique name of a photo or video?

Started by Jom, July 30, 2022, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jom

I read the standards, but I didn't understand everything unambiguously.
I marked with a question mark those tags that I have doubts about.

exif:ImageUniqueID
Iptc4xmpExt:RegItemId - ?
XMP-exif:ImageUniqueID
XMP-iptcExt:DigitalImageGUID
dc:identifier - ?
xmp:Identifier - ?

Jom

I inconsistently composed the first message.

This tags*
Iptc4xmpExt:RegItemId - ?
dc:identifier - ?
xmp:Identifier - ?
I take from XMP Property column on page
https://iptc.org/std/videometadatahub/recommendation/IPTC-VideoMetadataHub-props-Rec_1.3.html

But this tags
XMP-exif:ImageUniqueID
XMP-iptcExt:DigitalImageGUID
in the syntax of ExifTool.

exif:ImageUniqueID (I currently know that EXIF standard does not fit for video)

Can these tags all be used to store the unique name of a video?

* I marked with a question mark those tags that I have doubts about.

StarGeek

I can't really comment on this because it's not something I bother with and haven't looked into.

But it's always up to you what you want to use any tag for.  It's your data and your files. Figure out what tags the programs in your workflow use and adjust to use those tags.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Jom

Quote from: StarGeek on July 31, 2022, 10:27:29 AMBut it's always up to you what you want to use any tag for.
Yes, I can do it, but I don't want to break the standards so that in the future I will worry less about collisions if my files fall under the control of some DAM.

Quote from: StarGeek on July 31, 2022, 10:27:29 AMI can't really comment on this because it's not something I bother with and haven't looked into.
I would advise you to pay attention to this. The security of files largely depends on the unique name, but the name can be corrupted. Therefore, after creating a unique name, you need to save it to metadata, but for this you need to determine the tags to save it to. Everything is very interconnected.