Any plans for Exiftool to write meta data to SVG or WebP images?

Started by colink, July 31, 2022, 08:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colink

Any plans for Exiftool to write meta data to SVG or WebP images?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

colink

Hi Phil

Thanks for your prompt response. Do you have any approx target date for ability to write to WebP?

I am just about to work on something where embedding the meta data would be useful. If I had some idea of a target date it would help me to decide if I should use WebP - even if I use images without meta data it would be easier to upload same images again with meta data VS starting with jpg then having to edit HTML

StarGeek

While I haven't tested it, I believe that webpmux can add XMP and EXIF data to a webp.  At least according to that page it can.  It looks like it will embed an existing EXIF or XMP sidecar file.  It could be at least a temporary solution until exiftool has the ability.

Thanks for bring this up.  I had that page in my bookmarks to go back and look into it, but I had forgotten all about it.

It also appears that exiv2 supports writing to webp, although I can't find any examples ATM.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).