News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Installation of 12.52 on macOS Ventura Failed

Started by kkaiser, December 15, 2022, 12:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkaiser

I currently use v12.42 on macOS Ventura. To upgrade I downloaded the Full Perl Distribution 12.52 and followed the directions to install.
Everything seemed to go OK and when I went to /usr/local/bin I found:

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 keithkaiser  wheel    312162 Dec 14 23:21 exiftool

In terminal I typed; exiftool but it says I still have 12.42

keithkaiser@keiths-m1-mini bin % exiftool -ver

Where did I go wrong?

Hubert

What happens with

where exiftool
You may have two versions installed.

Alan Clifford

My mac doesn't understand "where"   :(

which exiftool

Hubert

Mine does:

8)

(It also understands which exiftool).

Hubert

Quote from: Alan Clifford on December 17, 2022, 07:28:57 AMMy mac doesn't understand "where"

I suspect you're using a different shell. Bash, which was the macOS default shell up to Catalina, doesn't recognise the where command. I'm using zsh which is now the default.

blue-j

Quote from: kkaiser on December 15, 2022, 12:36:31 AM...To upgrade I downloaded the Full Perl Distribution 12.52

Did you use this link?

https://exiftool.org/ExifTool-12.52.dmg

I worry you tried with the full source code and not the installer.

- J

Alan Clifford

It looks as if exiftool was installed as user keithkaiser rather than root.

Try

sudo make install

ElijahBlais

I also have facing the same issue. how can i solve this problem?

StarGeek

Quote from: ElijahBlais on January 23, 2023, 04:47:58 AMI also have facing the same issue. how can i solve this problem?

Did you try any of the options mentioned above?

Phil is currently away and I don't use a Mac, so I can't help.  But hopefully someone else who does can help you.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Hubert

It's not entirely clear which issue you're facing, but my advice would be download the .dmg installer, not the Full Perl Distribution (unless you have a particular reason to do so).

When you open the .dmg you must secondary-click on the .pkg file (right-click, ctrl-click or double-finger tap if using a trackpad) and choose Open. If you simply double-click on the .pkg file the installation will not proceed.

The Installer application takes you through the steps - there is no need to change the install location - and will ask for your system password (or Touch ID on some laptops) before installing ExifTool in the correct path (/usr/local/bin/).