DOC/ODT files (Writing to and viewing, respectively).

Started by dean, April 15, 2010, 05:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean

Hey,

First of all a massive thank you Bogdan for the GUI and Phil for Exif itself, it's pretty darn cool hehe. Onto the questions! I work for a IT company and we are looking for a program that allows us to view and write meta data on primarily doc and odt (open office) files. Unfortunatly, it seems that I cannot view ODT meta data (in the gui) and that writing to doc files isn't supported either. I can however view the DOC metadata, which in itself helps a ton already.

My questions would be, is support for writing to doc/other office formats (and odt/other open office formats), and in the case of odt, also viewing planned? (Soon?)

Bonus question, is there any way to decrease the time it takes the GUI to load the metadata of a file? It seems to take a little while, which is a minor annoyance but nothing major.

Thanks!

Dean.

EDIT: It seems I cannot write to TXT/view metatags either, any ideas on that?
EDIT:: Whoops, maybe should have posted in feature requests, sorry.

Phil Harvey

Hi Dean,

If you attach an ODT sample I will look into adding read support, but it isn't likely that I will add write support for these document formats in the near future.

You can speed up reading of JPEG and some other images at the risk of not extracting all information by using the -fast or -fast2 options, but this won't help the speed of reading these document files.

QuoteIt seems I cannot write to TXT/view metatags either, any ideas on that?

Maybe Bogdan knows what you are talking about here. (I don't)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi Dean,

Inside GUI, you can view all metadata which Exiftool can decode (when "View All" button is selected). As you may have noticed, GUI is ment for taging photo files in first place.

About the speed... I think, that for average use (on decent machine), Exiftool is fast enough on photo files when used directly. The problem is relation between GUI and Exiftool. Inside GUI, when you click on file, there's always small "delay" until (meta)data is refreshed -anoying, indeed. It's not because GUI is "waiting" for Exiftool to respond (deliver data). In short: it's because how two programs (not taylored to each other!) communicate inside Windows.. or maybe it's my limited programming knowledge (being amateur programmer).

About TXT/view metatags... can you be more specific? -I have no clue what's about. Sorry.

Bogdan

dean

Hey, thank you both for replying. With TXT I just ment the .txt format (default notepad filetype for example AFAIK). Yeah, I had noticed that it is mainly used for photos hehe, though I was curious if support for (writing to) other types of files (mainly documents (doc, txt, docx, odt etc) would be something that was going to be added in the future.

Shame to hear about the delay, but it's only a small nuisance so it's no big deal. Here are some open office filetypes Phil.

ODS = Open office calc = Equivalent of MS Excel
ODT = Open office writer = Equivalent of MS Word
ODP = Open office impress = Equivalent of MS Powerpoint

Dean.

Phil Harvey

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the samples.  I'll look into adding support for these.  If it isn't too difficult, you may see this new feature in about a month or so.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

...well, a month and 7 days.  :)

ExifTool 8.20 (just released) now has read support for these formats.

- Phil