Geotagging screws Sony A900 ARW raw files

Started by wrest, May 04, 2010, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrest

Trying to geotag sony a900 arw files with command:

exiftool -geosync=+00:00:10 -geotag "с:\GPS_LOGS\*.log" DSC01533.ARW

it answers with:
Warning: [minor] Entries in SubIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - DSC01533.ARW

after that geotags are in the file, but some color-related metadata is screwed.
how it looks in adobe lightroom:

raw file before and after geotagging is available. i've saved them (36Mbytes each)

same command onto jpeg file (i shoot raw+jpeg, so i tried on both raw and jpegs) executes as expected

please help, what's wrong?

Phil Harvey

This is a known problem with Adobe Lightroom and other Adobe products and is listed in the "known problems" section of the ExifTool home page.  Please send Adobe a bug report and a sample image.  I have already reported the problem, but the more people that report it the faster it will get fixed.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wrest

Thank you Phil.

I've checked Lightroom 3 Beta 2 -- still no luck.

Mammoth doesn't listen to us, I see no way Adobe corrects their products.

Nevertheless, I've left my woes on Adobe's lightroom 3 beta feedback forum.

Is there any way to leave tone curve data on their offsets while geotagging to satisfy adobe's bug?

Phil Harvey

I can hand tune an ARW to make the Adobe products happy, but adding a patch to exiftool to do this for the general case would unfortunately be very complicated.  I am sure Adobe will eventually fix this problem, but it probably isn't very high on their priority list.

I see that Adobe just released DNG converter 5.7 on April 21.  Does the LR beta include this update?  It would be interesting to know if this version of the DNG converter solves the problem, but I can't test this until I get home from vacation next week.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wrest

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 05, 2010, 07:54:48 AM
I can hand tune an ARW to make the Adobe products happy,
you mean, specific file? thank you, please don't bother. i have them too many to hand tune each :)

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 05, 2010, 07:54:48 AMadding a patch to exiftool to do this for the general case would unfortunately be very complicated.  I am sure Adobe will eventually fix this problem, but it probably isn't very high on their priority list.
oh, sad to hear that :( well, life isn't perfect

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 05, 2010, 07:54:48 AMI see that Adobe just released DNG converter 5.7 on April 21.  Does the LR beta include this update?  It would be interesting to know if this version of the DNG converter solves the problem, but I can't test this until I get home from vacation next week.
- Phil

well, if i feed exiftool geotagged arw into adobe DNG converter 5.7 and then import converted .dng into lightroom 3 beta 2, the tonecurve problem still there.

as for what includes what, as far as i understand, adobe DNG converter 5.7 corresponds to lightroom 2.7, not ligtroom 3 (as LR3 has rewritten de-Bayer logic).

Dmitry.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: wrest on May 05, 2010, 09:23:53 AM
well, if i feed exiftool geotagged arw into adobe DNG converter 5.7 and then import converted .dng into lightroom 3 beta 2, the tonecurve problem still there.

as for what includes what, as far as i understand, adobe DNG converter 5.7 corresponds to lightroom 2.7, not ligtroom 3 (as LR3 has rewritten de-Bayer logic).

Oh well.  Thanks for testing this.

- Phil