BUG - T-w+! option doesn't append correctly with unicode charachters in the path

Started by ekutner, November 21, 2022, 06:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekutner

When using -j -w+! options to create a single json output file for a whole directory only the last image data is stored to the file if the path contains unicode characters (Hebrew in my case).

System: Windows 11 22H2
Exiftool: 12.50

Erroring command line:
exiftool.exe -j -filename -w+! %d/.metadata/metadata.json 'D:\Pictures\_Gallery\Private\Family\א\'

Console output:
    1 directories scanned
   60 image files read
    1 output files created

Result:
The file metadata.json is created under the .metadata folder but it only contains the information for the last file in the folder:
[{
  "SourceFile": "D:/Pictures/_Gallery/Private/Family/א/DSC00913.jpg",
  "FileName": "DSC00913.jpg"
}]

Renaming the same folder to "a" and running the same command works as expected and the output file contains the data for all the files in the folder.

Although I don't believe this can be the source of the issue I did try using -charset filename=ut8 as well as cp1255. The former didn't make a difference and the latter resulted in an error that the folder couldn't be found.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for this report.  I'll look into this and report back when I know more.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 12.51 (just released) should fix this issue.

Thanks again for the bug report.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ekutner

I can confirm that it is now working.

Thank you so much for this wonderful tool and your amazing support!