Exiftool to display MWG-region rectangles over an image?

Started by brunos, November 25, 2022, 11:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brunos

Hi,

Is there any way to use exiftool to show an image and superimpose rectangles from XMP RegionAreaX, Y, W, H and names from XMP RegionName? Do anyone knows a scriptlet or stand-alone viewer that can do it?

I've seen what ExitToolGUI does: it shows the values and it shows a preview of an image, but it doesn't overlap rectangles and names...

Thanks and kind regards,
Bruno 

StarGeek

No.  Exiftool is not an image viewer and cannot display or edit image data.

I don't know of a stand alone viewer that will show region data, but that ability can be found in several Digital Asset Management (DAM) programs.  Lightroom, IMatch, ACDSee, and DigiKam are ones I know about.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

brunos

Thanks, StarGeek. The need for such an option raised in time as Picasa slowed down more and more with adding new photos. Now, with more that 120 thousands of faces and more than 40 thousands of folders, it became so crippled that I had to deactivate face recognition. Of course, the photos still have their regionname and other data, but it's pity not to be able to see the overlaps on the photos. It's too late to change the DAM now, and therefore I hope that someone has a piece of nice Python code or similar, able to overlap one or more rectangles and a name on an image.

Let me see if that someone would read this thread...?

Kind regards
Bruno

Phil Harvey

I wrote a script a long time ago that added face rectangles to images.  I haven't used it in years, but here it is in case it helps.  It uses the the proprietary MakerNote information and not MWG regions, so it would be useful only as an example of how this could be done.

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# File:         facetest
#
# Syntax:       facetest [MAKE|DIR|FILE]...
#
# Description:  test face detection/recognition decoding
#
# Revisions:    2011/02/26 - P. Harvey created
#               2011/03/27 - PH Restructured to provide FaceList() function
#                            and added support for more makes
#
# Face Colors:  Red/Blue - basic face area from newer/older format metadata
#               Green    - primary face(s)?
#               Orange   - recognized faces
#
# Notes:      - requires imagemagick 'convert' to be installed
#             - draws rectangles around faces and writes resized output images
#             - output images are written to 'tmp' directory
#             - defaults to input directory of '../testpics/facedetect/Olympus'
#             - processes only JPG images
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

brunos