Main Menu

Problem running in GUI

Started by swieber, December 01, 2022, 08:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swieber

Hi could someone assist me. Running ExifToolGui (in windows machine) with script exiftool -if '$filename =~ /^IMG-\d{8}-WA\d{4}\.\w*/' '-alldates<filename' -overwrite_original -v -r -i '@eaDir' -ext JPG . -fast2

Gives me the condition: bad name after filename error and I am stuck (beginner ExifTool). It worked for the first 30 files. Which ' need replacement by "

Much appreciated. Regards Olav de Kock

StarGeek

This post has been moved to the ExifTool GUI subforum because we're assuming you're talking about that exiftool GUI.  If you're talking about the hvdwolf View the profile of hvdwolf's jExiftoolGui, please let us know.

As per the stickied thread, the exiftoolGUI no longer has support from it's author.  We can try to answer questions but the answers will be based upon the command line, as the most experienced people here use that.

Make sure you read all of the ExiftoolGUI documentation.

Assuming you are using the "ExifTool direct panel", you will want to use double quotes instead of single quotes in your command.  You should probably check the Don't make backup files menu instead of using the -overwrite_original option.

The dot . stands for the current directory and should probably be removed, as you are  most likely selecting files in the GUI.  The -r (-recurse) option and the -i (Ignore) option (-i '@eaDir') should be removed for the same reason.

The -v (-verbose) option probably should be removed as well.  I don't know how much of the verbose output would be displayed.  If you want to see the verbose output, you will have to test it to see.

The command as listed will probably fail because WhatsApp file names don't include the time portion of the time stamp.  You probably want to change the '-alldates<filename' into "-alldates<${filename;m/^IMG-(\d{8})/i;$_=$1} 00:00:00"  That will capture the first 8 digits in the filename, which are the YearMonthDay if I recall correctly.  The rest adds a time of midnight for that file.

In the GUI, youo do not want to add exiftool, as the GUI is supposed to take care of calling the command.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).