Help! How to edit Maker Notes?

Started by Larry McWhorter, December 09, 2022, 01:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry McWhorter

It has been several years since I did any editing or changing of maker notes lens Tags or other sections and I'm having problems remembering how to do it.  Specifically I want to edit the Maker Notes, ExtenderStatus from Attached to Not attached.  This will help me get around the DXO PhotoLab5 problem of not having a Lens Module for the Pentax HD DA 1.4 Teleconverter.  DXO will not let me use some of the features of their program if the program does not recognize the teleconverter.   

StarGeek

The basic command would be
exiftool -ExtenderStatus=VALUE /path/to/files/

I think VALUE would be "Attached", but if that doesn't work, try using a value of 1.

The file must already have Pentax MakerNotes, as MakerNotes can only be edited, not created.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Larry McWhorter

Thanks for the reply what I am trying to do is write an arguments file and reference it from a shortcut that will allow the DNG image file to be dragged and dropped on to the shortcut to execute the arguments file.  Here is what I think the arguments file should be:

Extender Status arguments file:
-n
-ExtenderStatus="Not attached"
-overwrite_original_in_place

am I leaving something out here?

Also I'm not quite sure how I set up the shortcut to properly execute the arguments file.

Does this look correct?:

exiftool(-k).exe -@ 55-300-PLM-Extender-Status.txt

The
extender status can show either "Attached" or "Not Attached"  depending upon whether it is attached or not.

Again Many Thanks

StarGeek

Quote from: Larry McWhorter on December 09, 2022, 03:27:36 PMHere is what I think the arguments file should be:

Extender Status arguments file:
-n
-ExtenderStatus="Not attached"
-overwrite_original_in_place

Docs on the -@ (Argfile) option
    Normal shell processing of arguments is not performed, which among other things means that arguments should not be quoted

and FAQ #29
    arguments should not be quoted

QuoteAlso I'm not quite sure how I set up the shortcut to properly execute the arguments file.

Does this look correct?:

exiftool(-k).exe -@ 55-300-PLM-Extender-Status.txt

I think so, but I don't use anything like this. It would be correct on the command line. You'll have to test it and see.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).