Total newbie struggling to export metadata from csv to image files

Started by losbou, January 03, 2023, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

losbou

Hello,

Normally I would give up by now but I've spent far too long trying, I may as well ask for some help to see if it works before I give up.

I have the data in a csv file which I have attached below

and I use this command in terminal

exiftool -csv= "/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/exif.csv" "/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/album_files" 

and then I get

Error opening CSV file ''
No SourceFile '/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/exif.csv' in imported CSV database
No SourceFile '/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/album_files/33992985_10156171250756327_3328695762883182592_n.jpg' in imported CSV database
No SourceFile '/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/album_files/315339_3770084331787_270006750_n.jpg' in imported CSV database
No SourceFile '/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/album_files/10267773_10202426582607011_6588415621740349366_n.jpg' in imported CSV database

etc

1 directories scanned
    0 image files read

I'm a total newbie to this and my knowledge and usage of terminal is minimal so it could be something really basic which I am overlooking. Let me know if there is anything else you need from me to help and thanks in advance  : D

exif.csv 

Phil Harvey

You shouldn't have a space between -csv= and the CSV file name.  ie) It should be

exiftool -csv="/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/exif.csv" "/Users/alexanderboulos/Desktop/album_files"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Also, you will need to change the "TimeStamp" in the heading of your CSV file to some tag that ExifTool can write to JPG images (eg. DateTimeOriginal)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

losbou

Thank you so much for that. It worked.

I have another question, can I know take that new exif data from the images to change the date on "Date Created" field in finder?

Thanks   :D 

Phil Harvey

Yes.  You can do this either by changing the column heading to FileCreateDate or running this command (assuming you wrote this to DateTimeOriginal):

exiftool "-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal" DIR

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Hmmm.  That should have been FileCreateDate in my command too, not FileModifyDate (although you might want to set that too).

- Phil