Retaining quicktime:createdate

Started by Alan Clifford, January 08, 2023, 10:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Clifford

I have my trailcam set to record 1 minute videos.  I can cut these down to the length I want to keep, using ffmpeg.  However, in the process, quicktime:createdate is lost.

Is the solution to this to create a csv file of all the createdates from the original files and then import them into the shortened or size-reduced files as required.

edit
I put in an xmp:datetimeoriginal but that was removed as well.

Phil Harvey

I would just copy CreateDate directly from the original files.  You would only need an intermediate file (like a CSV) if the originals weren't available.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 08, 2023, 09:07:15 PMI would just copy CreateDate directly from the original files.  You would only need an intermediate file (like a CSV) if the originals weren't available.

- Phil

I will eventually be deleting the orginal files.  They are too big, could be a minute long and only contain 10 seconds of action.  At the moment I am reducing the length, say from second two to second 12 and will keep that as the pseudo-original.  Then, to put on my website or facebook or whatever, I reduce the image size.

I was thinking it would be nice to do any fiddling about then blast through the resized versions with a script without having to think about it too much.  And have the dates available if I forgot to update one time.

But maybe you're right.  Just copy the dates.