How long does this take to run / did it crash?

Started by BenDupre, January 11, 2023, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDupre

I am trying to get data from a folder containing about 2500 files and nothing seems to happen. I've tried on a smaller batch and it works fine. How do I know how long to wait or should I abort?

Phil Harvey

Add the -progress option to get an indication of how things are progressing.

Personally I use -progress: to get an indication in the title bar of my terminal.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BenDupre

I left for three hours and it still had not finished. Checked task manager and saw no CPU usage so I killed it.

I copied all the files into another folder and it ran in about 8 seconds. I think we had a problem with the path

C:\Users\bd4\OneDrive - HydraForce Inc\Hydraforce Projects\CMS\Catalog GIF\epi (does not work)
C:\exiftool\test (worked)

same batch of 2368 images

Do you see an issue with the path above?

Phil Harvey

There have been problems in the past with remote mounted volumes in Windows.  I don't know the reason for this.  Other operating systems don't have this problem.

Oh, wait.  Did you put quotes around the directory name?  If not, it would hang on "-" because of the spaces between the words.  "-" represents console input, and would wait for a CTRL-D from the keyboard

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BenDupre

That's the problem. THanks!

BTW, where is the full help file (url?) I tried to list it in the console but it's too darn long.

Phil Harvey