News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Camera Exif data reappears after edit

Started by Hans-Martin, January 25, 2023, 10:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans-Martin

Hello!

I used  -exif:all= -tagsfromfile @ -datetimeoriginal  to delete the camera's exif data (except the date time original tag) which did the job fine.
But then I edited the file with photoshop and saved the edit overwriting the original and now all the camera's exif data has surfaced again.
Is there a way to prevent this by using a different command line maybe?

Thanks!

StarGeek

If you check the file after editing with exiftool and the data is gone at that point, then it sounds like that exiftool isn't the problem, it's Lightroom. There should be an option to reload the metadata if it doesn't do it automatically.  Also check to make sure it's not copying the data from elsewhere in the file or from an XMP sidecar file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Hans-Martin

I explored the file with -a -G1 and found camera values in these groups:
[Composite]
[XMP-aux]
[ExifIFD]
[IFD0]
There is also a lot of [XMP-crs] values which I guess refer to Canon Raw? Could this be als the source of the reappearing Exif?

I am not aware of any sidecar files. In the folder I see only photo files.

StarGeek

Composite tags don't actually exist in the file.  They are created by exiftool on the fly to help facilitate dealing with the data.

Quote from: Hans-Martin on January 25, 2023, 11:19:39 AMThere is also a lot of [XMP-crs] values which I guess refer to Canon Raw? Could this be als the source of the reappearing Exif?

XMP-crs are Photoshop Camera Raw tags.  I don't know much about them as I don't have PS.  A lot has to do with editing though.  I don't know if they have data that would be copied back into the EXIF or not.

From the docs on the XMP-aux listing
QuoteAdobe-defined auxiliary EXIF tags. This namespace existed in the XMP specification until it was dropped in 2012, presumably due to the introduction of the EXIF 2.3 for XMP specification and the exifEX namespace at this time
So some of the tags might be copied back from there.

ExifIFD and IFD0 are part of the EXIF group.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Hans-Martin on January 25, 2023, 10:19:29 AMHello!

I used  -exif:all= -tagsfromfile @ -datetimeoriginal  to delete the camera's exif data (except the date time original tag) which did the job fine.
But then I edited the file with photoshop and saved the edit overwriting the original and now all the camera's exif data has surfaced again.
Is there a way to prevent this by using a different command line maybe?

Thanks!
Change the file name or copy it to another file after the exiftool edit and try again.  Your other software, if it is the culprit, should be stymied.