Are there any non-wrapper exiftool ports out there?

Started by threehan, January 28, 2023, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threehan

Hi everyone!

I've been using exiftool for the past week to extract dashcam gps coordinates. However I just learned that the environment where I was planning on using exiftool has perl removed. I am also unable to get perl added back in due to security restrictions.

Are there any alternatives out there that have the dashcam metadata extraction robustness of exiftool? Or any rewrites in something like go/python/java?

I would be unable to use any wrappers for exiftool as those would still have the perl requirement.

StarGeek

Quote from: threehan on January 28, 2023, 12:29:38 PMAre there any alternatives out there that have the dashcam metadata extraction robustness of exiftool? Or any rewrites in something like go/python/java?

For extracting GPS coordinates?  I really doubt it.  Phil has put a lot of work into figuring out how various cameras embed GPS tracks and exiftool can now read 66 different variations.  I haven't seen anything else that does more than one and those are usually the programs that are made by the camera company.

I haven't heard of any attempts to port exiftool to a different language either.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).