Main Menu

Sort named Icons

Started by Soraka, February 08, 2023, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soraka

Hello,
I do not know if this program has the ability I am looking for.

I have created png icons, that for the time being I have named "1", "2"...

I would like to name those icons differently but keep them in the order of the images, from 1 to 20 in this example.

For example:
[1] Bulgaria [2] Austria [3] Spain [4] Croatia [5] France

Is this program able to do this?
Thanks

StarGeek

It can do this, but it depends a lot on where you are getting the names from.  Exiftool has to be able to read the new names, either from an embedded tag or as part of a script of some sort.

Otherwise you're just running exiftool once on every image and at that point you might as well just rename them on the desktop.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Soraka

So for the Icon01.png, I could attribute it the name "1", but still name (right click, rename) into "Bulgaria", and even though another folder named "Austria" is in the same folder, "Bulgaria" folder would still appear as first?

May I know what specifically I should be looking for in the website, so I can get started?

StarGeek

It sounds like you want the operating system to display the icons in a certain order that isn't alphabetical.  If so, then the answer is no, exiftool can't help.

Exiftool can move, rename, and edit metadata in images/videos, but none of that is going to change the way the OS works.  To be honest, I've never heard of anything like what I think you want.  Normally, you would just prepend the number as part of the file/directory name to sort it in a different order.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).