Writing into IPTC-fields

Started by Archive, May 12, 2010, 08:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2005-05-31 13:22:50-07]

Is it possible to write data into IPTC-fields with exiftool? If so, give an example please.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2005-05-31 15:14:28-07]

Writing IPTC is the same as writing any other type of meta information with ExifTool.

"exiftool -city=kingston test.jpg" will write the IPTC city tag since "City" doesn't exist in the EXIF or GPS information, and the IPTC is the next highest priority group.  (The priority order is 1) EXIF, 2) GPS, 3) IPTC, 4) XMP, 5) MakerNotes).

Alternatively, you can specify the IPTC group to be sure you are writing the IPTC information:

ie) "exiftool -iptc:keywords=help test.jpg"

Archive

[Originally posted by scottlindner on 2005-05-31 15:38:26-07]

"Writing IPTC is the same as writing any other type of meta information with ExifTool."

I think the problem is understanding the structure and Exiftool naming convention for all of the tags.  I've reread your website many times and I still do not know how one knows when to use ExifIFD or some other tag group name.

I've taken your request seriously to provide useful comments to help with this.  I am very good at that.  I want to use Exiftool for a while longer first so I can make sure I understand it before sending you off with shortsghted comments to rework your web page.

Cheers,

Scott

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2005-05-31 18:04:24-07]

Excellent!  I look forward to your comments, and appreciate the fact that you're taking your time to understand ExifTool (and the meta information jungle!) before making them. Smiley

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2005-05-31 18:59:07-07]

I wished I found exiftool earlier :-) I will write a little bit more of my exif-problems, but it takes time to write down my thoughts and problems realizing it. Some exif-problems took me crazy for months, but now, with exiftool, I found a workaround at least for all the problems. Thanks for this tool!

I found a little problem with exiftool, although it is probably a problem of the camera manufacturer.

-s -s -s -Make produdes spaces at the end of "Caplio R1".

Could you change it, that the output of -s -s -s has no blanks at the beginning and and the end? BTW should -sss work too, it didn_t work.

In the meantime my bash-script uses .. | sed 's/^ *//' | sed 's/ *$//'

If you would like to have a picture for testing, please tell me where to send it.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2005-05-31 19:35:03-07]

I'll have to think about trimming the spaces to see if that might cause problems for other tags.  I have a Caplio RR1 test file here, and I can see the spaces Ricoh inserts after the make.  I don't know why they do that.

Stringing multiple options together is not possible because then you generate a tag name.  ie) is "-make" a request to extract "Make", or the "-m -a -k -e" options?  For this reason, you can't combine options into a single argument with exiftool.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2005-06-02 11:25:59-07]

I've released ExifTool 5.24 which trims trailing whitespace from values in the exiftool script printout.

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2005-06-02 11:57:59-07]

Thanks for updating exiftool. I am not so familiar with perl. How do I update? I installed with "cpan -i Image::ExifTool" How do I downgrade, in case I find other problems with the new release? Of course I will tell you, which problems occured. I couldn't find an update option in "man cpan"

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2005-06-02 12:06:44-07]

I only upload production versions to CPAN.  For other versions, visit my web site.  See the README file for my website URL and installation instructions.