I wrote a windows drop and drag program

Started by dc@eicx.com, April 07, 2023, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc@eicx.com

Hi
I wrote a windows drop and drag wrapper.  Should I upload a compiled exe? 

I wrote it in a rather obscure language - PowerBasic - very C like and single exe.

I can put the source up too but it is not in the normal stream of things.

Now that I did this I am thinking of making a win32api type dll that does the same thing.

Advice??

Phil Harvey

It would be good if you made a web page for your wrapper somewhere (at github maybe?).  Then I could link it from the ExifTool home page.  Otherwise, I suppose you could just post it here.

I'm assuming there is some way to configure it to perform different operations.  If so, including a screen grab of the configuration dialog would be useful.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dc@eicx.com

dc@eicx.com

Quick and dirty

There is a read me in the zip.

Handy desktop tool - drag files into the window.

Source is in the zip for looking at.  Written in PowerBasic.

Phil Harvey

As far as I can tell, the only advantage of this over dragging and dropping directly on "exiftool(-k).exe" is that exiftool is already running so the lag time is reduced.  Correct?

Just a couple of questions/comments:

1. Your GET_EXIF_FILE_DATE function is returning the filesystem date/time not the EXIF date/time.  it would be more efficient to specify the tag to be extracted, along with the -s3 option when running ExifTool.

2. What is the MD5 stuff for?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).