Mass renaming of files, but without recursion.

Started by Flow777, March 27, 2023, 08:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flow777

Good day!
My rather small problem is as follows: there is a large folder (in the following example - it is called "2"), it contains several dozen subfolders ("A", "B", "C"); I would like to perform a massive file renaming - for example, 001.jpg , 002.png, 003.jpg...

I tried using this command as:
exiftool -r -fileOrder DateTimeOriginal "-filename=%1.03C.%e" D:\2 -overwrite_original -progress
used this one too:
exiftool -r -fileOrder DateTimeOriginal "-filename=%d/%01.3C.%e" D:\2 -overwrite_original -progress
and they work great.
But when renaming, the numerical sequence of names from one folder continues to another (035.jpg, 036.png - and 0.37 - in another folder).

What can be done to rename all files nested in subfolders with a single command, but the sequence starts anew in each of them (035.jpg, 036.png - in one folder, and 001.jpg - in another folder, etc.).
Thanks!

P.s.: I tried the method from the reverse indicated here - it didn't help.

My OS: Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Exiftool version: 12.58
Type of file: *jpg, *png

Phil Harvey

From the application -w option documentation:

For %C, a copy number of zero is not
            omitted as it is with %c.  A leading '-' causes the number to be
            reset at the start of each new directory
, and '+' has no effect.

(emphasis added)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Flow777

Thanks a lot for the tip. But what will the team look like then, if not a secret?

Phil Harvey

Just add a "-" after the "%" for the "C" format specification.  eg. "%-1.03C"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Flow777

Unfortunately, I put a minus - but the numbering also continued...

exiftool -r -fileOrder DateTimeOriginal "-filename=%-1.03C.%e" D:\2 -overwrite_original -progress

Phil Harvey

Right.  I didn't notice you were using the -fileorder option:

-fileOrder
            Note that files are sorted across directory boundaries
            if multiple input directories are specified.

That is a problem.  I don't see an easy work-around other that possibly renaming according to DateTimeOriginal first, then hoping the system returns files in FileName order.

Also, you don't need the -overwrite_original option if just writing FileName.

- Phil

Flow777

I solved the problem using this:
exiftool -r "-filename=%2.03nc.%e" D:\2 -progress
After all, the simplest solution is sometimes the best move.

Thanks Phil, for your help and sorry to bother you.

Phil Harvey

No bother at all.  In fact, this question pointed out a problem in ExifTool that I will fix in the next version.

With version 12.59 and later you will be able to do what you want, and %-C will work with the -fileOrder option.  (Note that %-C was also broken by the -progress option, but this will be fixed as well.)

- Phil

Flow777