MP3 tags

Started by pourquoi, March 26, 2010, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pourquoi

As a feature request, it would be an excellent idea if ExifTool were able to write ID3v2 MP3 metadata. To this day, I couldn't find any reliable command line MP3 tagger working in Windows 7.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestion.  This has been on my to-do list for a long time now, but adding write support is a lot of work and I mainly concentrate on supporting image formats, so I haven't got around to ID3 yet.  But the more requests I receive the higher priority it gets.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FixEUser

This would be highly appreciated!
There is no known (windows-) command-line tool on the whole planet who could write id3v2.3 tags.

(If I'm wrong, I would like to know it  8) )

ryerman

Quote from: FixEUser on April 07, 2012, 06:42:19 AM
This would be highly appreciated!
There is no known (windows-) command-line tool on the whole planet who could write id3v2.3 tags.

(If I'm wrong, I would like to know it  8) )

Maybe ID3 Editor is worth a try.   $15.00 (USD)
I've never tried it but the website shows it in a Windows Command Prompt and OS Terminal.
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Exiftool v12.61

FixEUser

@ryerman:
You could be right. Unfortunately, I can't test it, because the just downloaded and installed x64-version says:
"This trial version of ID3 Editor has expired. To purchase a license, please visit our web-site".

Not really cool to offer an already expired trial version for download :(

ryerman

Quote from: FixEUser on January 09, 2013, 07:19:33 AM
@ryerman:
You could be right. Unfortunately, I can't test it, because the just downloaded and installed x64-version says:
"This trial version of ID3 Editor has expired. To purchase a license, please visit our web-site".

Not really cool to offer an already expired trial version for download :(
I just downloaded, installed and tested ID3 Editor(x64), without a problem.

FixEUser

My WindowsID3EditorSetupx64.msi has last changed date from 2012-02-04 14:39.
Do you have something newer?

ryerman

asoupper

Hi Phil,
First thing: thanks a lot for this incredible tool  :D
It is very useful for my pictures but it would be awesome if I could do the same with my music.

+1 for adding the write MP3 tags feature ;)

Alban

dudebro

Would still love if this were supported :D

StarGeek

From a more recent (but still a bit old) thread on the subject
Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 28, 2017, 05:42:04 AMBut writing MP3 is a different story.  I don't have any suggestions about what to do there.  ExifTool would have already supported writing ID3 metadata in MP3 files, but the ID3 specification was written by idiots, and omits key details which are necessary to be able to write it properly.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).