Updated version of ExifToolGui available on GitHub.

Started by FrankB, July 28, 2023, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lajip

Quote from: FrankB on September 23, 2023, 12:49:50 AMIf I have something to test I will gladly ask you to test.

But most important: Does upgrade to Exiftool 12.66, or 12.67 solve your problem? For me it works...
(Although I think ExiftoolGui could be better)
I'd have to double check with those versions; but it seems to related to the GUI, no?
You don't have the issue maybe because your sample PDF files don't have any PDF metadata in them.
I'll double check and will let you know.

Quote from: FrankB on September 24, 2023, 05:21:18 AM
Quote from: lajip on September 18, 2023, 05:33:31 PMOn the feature side, I've always wondered why we can't add a tag to the workspace from the "ALL" view. It would be awesome to do so!

Did a quick test, by enabling the button. Cant see whats wrong, so I'll enable it in the next release.

Quote from: lajip on September 18, 2023, 05:33:31 PMAlso, being able to select multiple tags (with the usual CTRL and SHIFT modifier keys) and add them altogether to the Workspace, would be a time saver! It would be great to be able to do so.

The control used "TValueListEditor" does NOT support Multi-select, so that's hard to implement. It would require extending the control. I think that's overkill.

What I CAN do is use Double Click for adding/removing Tags to the Workspace. I think that would already save you a lot of time. I would like to add a Checkbox in the Preferences/Other tab 'Double Click adds/removes tags to/from Workspace'. Are you happy with that?

Awesome for the first point. As far as for the second point, since it is too much work for multi-selection, I'd be more than happy with a double click (way faster then right click+mouse move+click).

Thanks Franck 🙏

FrankB

Quote from: lajip on September 24, 2023, 03:18:17 PMbut it seems to related to the GUI, no?

It IS an error in Exiftool 12.65 and fixed in 12.66. But I must admit that I have improved the handling of the error in GUI. No more MessageBoxes, but a warning in the MetaData grid.

If you send me your EmailAddress in a PM (Dont disclose it publicly) I will send you an updated version. Think of it as a pre-rel V6.2. That version has better support for international characters (Unicode/UTF8) and an enhanced Log Window. It shows the commands executed, plus the option to save them as a PowerShell, or Command script.

I'm curious to hear your opinion!
Frank

lajip

Frank, I tried ExifTool v12.67 and indeed it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the heads-up, I feel better now :)

Sent you a PM ;)

FrankB

Version V6.2.5 available for download:
https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/releases/tag/V6.2.5

More info:
https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui

rgiw

Ups ... just found it :)

---
Hi,
I cannot find the Windows executable under 'https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/Source/Win32/Release'.
Did you move it?

Thanks
R

Phil Harvey

I see it when I click on the first link in Frank's last post.

Ah.  I see that the initial post in this thread gives the old location you were using.  I'll update this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ChasaImago

Quote from: FrankB on July 28, 2023, 05:03:45 PMAn updated version of this great tool is available on GitHub: https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/

Great!
After so many years; finally a new GUI. Thanks for that.

I use(d) the old ExifToolGUI almost every day to modify the images I shot and process with Photoshop.
Some of my work: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDRXSan

But nevermind  8) , back to the fresh GUI.

I think I've came across a small, but for me, annoying bug:
When I resize the ExifToolGUI window and close it again, then when restarted, the original window size is not saved and the ExifToolGUI window size is still the previous (original?) size.
Other options DO seem to be saved correctly in the \AppData\Roaming\ExifToolGui\ExifToolGuiV6.ini file.

Any ideas what might go wrong here?

BTW: I'm using a Win10 system with dual 4K monitors connected to a NVIDIA Quadro P4000 graphics card.
All WinOS and video drivers are up-to-date.

[ExifToolGUI]
StartMax=0
WinTop=37
WinLeft=274
WinWidth=2695
WinHeight=1409
BrowseWidth=476
PreviewHeight=220
MetadataWidth=1054
MetadataTagWidth=144
DefaultDir=D:\IMAGES\
LogWinTop=106
LogWinLeft=108
LogWinWidth=580
LogWinHeight=1500
StdColWidth0=272
StdColWidth1=106
StdColWidth2=190
StdColWidth3=176
Def1ColWidth0=64
Def1ColWidth1=64
Def1ColWidth2=48
Def1ColWidth3=73
Def1ColWidth4=73
Def1ColWidth5=56
Def1ColWidth6=88
Def1ColWidth7=80
Def2ColWidth0=120
Def2ColWidth1=48
Def2ColWidth2=80
Def2ColWidth3=80
Def2ColWidth4=120
Def2ColWidth5=120
Def3ColWidth0=120
Def3ColWidth1=48
Def3ColWidth2=120
Def3ColWidth3=120
Def3ColWidth4=120

I've played around with some of the above values; but not one of them seems to make sure the window size is restored to its last-exit size...

www.panomeister.com

FrankB

Quote from: ChasaImago on December 09, 2023, 09:57:18 AMAfter so many years; finally a new GUI. Thanks for that.
You're welcome.

Quote from: ChasaImago on December 09, 2023, 09:57:18 AMSome of my work: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDRXSan
Nice pics. Besides Exiftool(gui) & Photos I also like to ride a motorbike. Seems like a nice area for biking.

Quote from: ChasaImago on December 09, 2023, 09:57:18 AMBut nevermind  8) , back to the fresh GUI.

I think I've came across a small, but for me, annoying bug:
When I resize the ExifToolGUI window and close it again, then when restarted, the original window size is not saved and the ExifToolGUI window size is still the previous (original?) size.
Other options DO seem to be saved correctly in the \AppData\Roaming\ExifToolGui\ExifToolGuiV6.ini file.

Any ideas what might go wrong here?
- Gui should restore the window position.
- I assume you're using the latest version? V6.2.6.
- I can reproduce the behaviour if the shortcut to ExifToolGui is set to Maximized. PLease check your setting.

shortcut.jpg

ChasaImago

Quote from: FrankB on December 09, 2023, 11:03:04 AM- Gui should restore the window position.
- I assume you're using the latest version? V6.2.6.
Yep.
Quote- I can reproduce the behaviour if the shortcut to ExifToolGui is set to Maximized. PLease check your setting.

shortcut.jpg
The setting is: 'Normal window'; but then it is NOT restored to its previous window size.
When I try 'Minimised'; it's of course just a icon on the task bar and a very small window when you switch to its active window with [Alt]+[Tab]
When I try 'Maximized', it's indeed taking up the whole screen.

So it's still not restoring to its previous window size @ exit.  :-\
Any other suggestions?

Thnkx.

[update]
found it!

I had to change the 'override high DPI scaling behaviour'
Clipboard_12-09-2023_01.jpg

www.panomeister.com

FrankB

FrankB

Good that you found it.

I'm unsure if I need to fix something in GUI. And certainly wouldn't know what.

Any suggestions?

FrankB

Version V6.2.7 available for download:
https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/releases/tag/V6.2.7

More info:
https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui

ChasaImago

Hi Frank,

I've just tested your 6.2.7 version (with the latest ExifTool 12.71).
Running on Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045. With 2 x 27" 4K IPS monitors. (160% scaling)

It seems that the resizing/restoring of the ExifToolGUI window is now retained properly with this setting:

Clipboard_12-28-2023_01.jpg

This is the difference between the two settings (with/without)
Clipboard_12-28-2023_02.jpg

It seems that only the text from the progam options is sized properly. The text in the indivual subwindows is not scaled differently
I've not found (yet) any other setting that might alter that behaviour.
www.panomeister.com

FrankB

Thanks for your testing efforts. That is what I need!

I have other reports that the scaling from the 'top file menu' behaves different from the other texts. I will look into it.

Glad you confirm the window positioning has now been fixed.

With version 6.2.7 the default is set to 'System aware', that's why you dont see a lot of differences. Except for the already mentioned file menu.

It should not be needed anymore to change the shortcut setting. This doc explains it in more detail.

https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/blob/main/Docs/Readme%204K%20monitor.txt

Thanks again
Frank

brizzo

Thank you very much. I can't believe we have a gui update after so long. It's a wonderful job and it's working perfectly.

I have a question. In the original version there was a countdown timer when I applied the same change to multiple files. Is there a way to enable this feature? I found it very useful for knowing the progress of changes to hundreds of files, for example. Now I can't see the progress.

Version 5.16 image attached.