Alphabetize list-type tags

Started by wywh, January 11, 2024, 04:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wywh

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 12, 2024, 01:22:15 PMhow you got the empty element without trying unless natcomp generated it

I believe natcomp generated it when I was trying to clear old Subject list with minimum effort with Subject=''.

After deleting natcomp block from the command it works as expected and Subject line is nuked:

exiftool -a -G1 -s -sep '//' -XMP:All image.jpg                                    
[XMP-dc]        Subject                         : a

exiftool -tagsFromFile @ -XMP-dc:Subject -XMP-dc:Subject='' -api NoDups=1 -execute '-Subject<${Subject;$_=join ";", sort{natcomp} split ";"}' -common_args -m -P -overwrite_original -sep ';' image.jpg
    1 image files updated
    1 image files updated

[XMP-dc]        Subject                         :

exiftool -tagsFromFile @ -XMP-dc:Subject -XMP-dc:Subject='' -api NoDups=1 -m -P -overwrite_original -sep ';' image.jpg
    1 image files updated

[null]

-Matti

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 12, 2024, 01:22:15 PM-XMP-dc:Subject=''

on the command line is equivalent to:

-XMP-dc:Subject=

because the quotes are stripped by the command shell.

I don't know what I did but I did a quick test before and ended up with a 0 length tag.  Of course, now I can't reproduce it, so I did something wrong.

QuoteBut I don't know how you got the empty element without trying unless natcomp generated it.

I hope not.  I tested a file using wywh's command and it didn't happen for me.  Back to testing it is.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

Ah, there it is.  You have the -m (-ignoreMinorErrors) option option in the command.  You are clearing Subject before the -TagsFromFile, but then copying the empty Subject back into itself. From the docs
QuoteNote that this causes missing values in -tagsFromFile, -p and -if strings to be set to an empty string rather than an undefined value.

Example:
C:\>exiftool -G1 -a -s -subject y:\!temp\Test4.jpg

C:\>exiftool -G1 -a -s -m "-Subject<$Subject" y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -G1 -a -s -subject y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
[XMP-dc]        Subject                         :
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wywh

Quote from: StarGeek on January 12, 2024, 05:28:36 PMAh, there it is.  You have the -m (-ignoreMinorErrors) option option in the command

Thanks again. I have used -m because AFAIR in some distant past some command failed without it, and also as a means to prevent benign warnings from littering the output. So I deleted it form the command below. To clear old Keywords, use just Subject='', and then start to fill the Keyword list again. No more empty Subject string left behind.

exiftool -XMP-dc:Title='Title' -XMP-photoshop:CaptionWriter='Author' -XMP-dc:Description='Description' -XMP-xmp:Rating=3 -tagsFromFile @ -XMP-dc:Subject -XMP-dc:Subject='Keyword 1;Keyword 2' -api NoDups=1 -execute '-Subject<${Subject;$_=join ";", sort{natcomp} split ";"}' -common_args -P -overwrite_original_in_place -sep ';' image.jpg
- Matti

wywh

It seems it is best to avoid commas inside image IPTC:Keywords and XMP-dc:Subject (and also in movie Keys:Keywords) because macOS 14.2.1 Sonoma Photos.app forces comma as a Keyword separator anyway. If there is a comma inside a IPTC/XMP Keyword, then Photos.app splits the Keyword and the pieces are grayed out in its info dialog.

On the other hand, Photos.app accepts semicolon inside those image and movie Keywords.

I heard that Adobe XMP SDK treats semicolon and comma by default the same in Keywords.

- Matti