Incorrectly written QuickTime date/time values

Started by Exifdude, January 11, 2024, 03:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exifdude

Some of my videos from 2013/2014 that were taken with a phone that I have uploaded to Apple iCloud Photos are showing up with the 66 year offset mentioned in https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=4322.0
Is there a way to run exiftool against my entire Pictures folder, including sub directories so that it patches only files with the incorrectly written QuickTime date/time values and leaves the others alone?  Also does exiftool patch them automatically when it reads them and if so then is it as simple as running, "exiftool -r DIR" ? Thanks in advance.

Phil Harvey

Identifying only the videos with incorrect date/times may be tricky if the videos have other problems too.  But something like this may do what you want if this is the only warning:

exiftool -if "$warning=~/^Patched/" -tagsfromfile @ "-all:*date" -ext mp4 -r DIR

- Phil

Edit: I added -ext mp4 to the command to process only MP4 videos, but you can change this to anything you want or add more -ext options to process other types as well.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Actually, I was thinking about this a bit more.  The following command will handle the case where there are up to 2 other warnings:

exiftool -if "$warning=~/^Patched/ or $copy1:warning=~/^Patched/ or $copy2:warning=~/^Patched/" -tagsfromfile @ "-all:*date" -ext mp4 -r DIR

- Phil

Edit:  I'm thinking of adding a feature in 12.74 to allow all tags of a given name to be tested together (values will be concatenated according to the current -sep option setting:

exiftool -if "$all:warning=~/Patched incorrect time zero/" ...
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Exifdude

Thanks for your quick reply Phil.  I ran that against my files but it did not fix the issue. In File Explorer in Windows under the Column "Date" and "Date acquired" it still shows 9/16/1947 with the 66 year offset for the file.

C:\exiftool -if "$warning=~/^Patched/ or $copy1:warning=~/^Patched/ or $copy2:warning=~/^Patched/" -tagsfromfile @ "-all:*date" -ext mp4 -r C:\20130916_165236000.mp4
    1 files failed condition

C:\exiftool C:\20130916_165236000.mp4
ExifTool Version Number        : 12.60
File Name                      : 20130916_165236000.mp4
Directory                      :
File Size                      : 2.3 MB
File Modification Date/Time    : 2023:07:25 20:51:42-04:00
File Access Date/Time          : 2024:01:13 19:44:09-05:00
File Creation Date/Time        : 2024:01:13 19:44:00-05:00
File Permissions                : -rw-rw-rw-
File Type                      : MP4
File Type Extension            : mp4
MIME Type                      : video/mp4
Major Brand                    : MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
Minor Version                  : 0.0.0
Compatible Brands              : isom, 3gp4
Movie Header Version            : 0
Warning                        : [minor] Patched incorrect time zero for QuickTime date/time tag
Create Date                    : 2013:09:16 19:52:36
Modify Date                    : 2013:09:16 19:52:36
Time Scale                      : 1000
Duration                        : 2.53 s
Preferred Rate                  : 1
Preferred Volume                : 100.00%
Preview Time                    : 0 s
Preview Duration                : 0 s
Poster Time                    : 0 s
Selection Time                  : 0 s
Selection Duration              : 0 s
Current Time                    : 0 s
Next Track ID                  : 3
Track Header Version            : 0
Track Create Date              : 2013:09:16 19:52:36
Track Modify Date              : 2013:09:16 19:52:36
Track ID                        : 1
Track Duration                  : 2.29 s
Track Layer                    : 0
Track Volume                    : 0.00%
Image Width                    : 544
Image Height                    : 960
Graphics Mode                  : srcCopy
Op Color                        : 0 0 0
Compressor ID                  : avc1
Source Image Width              : 544
Source Image Height            : 960
X Resolution                    : 72
Y Resolution                    : 72
Compressor Name                :
Bit Depth                      : 24
Pixel Aspect Ratio              : 65536:65536
Video Frame Rate                : 29.666
Matrix Structure                : 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Media Header Version            : 0
Media Create Date              : 2013:09:16 19:52:36
Media Modify Date              : 2013:09:16 19:52:36
Media Time Scale                : 48000
Media Duration                  : 2.53 s
Handler Type                    : Audio Track
Handler Description            : SoundHandle
Balance                        : 0
Audio Format                    : mp4a
Audio Channels                  : 1
Audio Bits Per Sample          : 16
Audio Sample Rate              : 48000
Media Data Size                : 1473135
Media Data Offset              : 810040
XMP Toolkit                    : Image::ExifTool 10.63
Date/Time Original              : 2013:09:16 16:52:36-04:00
Image Size                      : 544x960
Megapixels                      : 0.522
Avg Bitrate                    : 4.66 Mbps
Rotation                        : 0

Phil Harvey

OK.  I found a sample with this problem for testing.

You're right, the -if condition isn't working because the word "Patched" isn't at the start of the string (it comes after "[minor]").  Try removing the caret (^) in the -if condition.

- Phil

Exifdude

That did it! Thank you so much.  It is now making a copy of the file and then marking the original as an ".mp4_original".  What would the string look like to stop it from doing that? I used this command,
exiftool -if "$warning=~/Patched/ or $copy1:warning=~/Patched/ or $copy2:warning=~/Patched/" -tagsfromfile @ "-all:*date" -ext mp4 -r

As a side note, this app that you created has helped me clean up so many issues with my photo/video collection that could not have been fixed otherwise.  I just want to tell you how thankful I am that you created this, I really appreciate it.  I just sent you a donation that was long overdue via Paypal, cheers.

Phil Harvey

Add -overwrite_original to the command to prevent it from preserving the original file.

Thanks for the donation.

- Phil

Exifdude

After I ran it through my files, several came out with a discrepancy I'd like to correct.  What would be the command to overwrite Date/Time Original with the Modify Date?  Thanks in advance.

Phil Harvey

In general, DateTimeOriginal is not writable in QuickTime files.  But in the small chance that yours is, the command would be:

exiftool "-datetimeoriginal<modifydate" FILE

- Phil

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 17, 2024, 07:39:35 AMIn general, DateTimeOriginal is not writable in QuickTime files.

I believe you mean that EXIF:DateTimeOriginal is generally not writable. That command will write to the Quicktime:DateTimeOriginal as well as XMP-exif:DateTimeOriginal.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).