Entries in IFD0 out of sequence

Started by Archive, May 12, 2010, 08:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archive

[Originally posted by rmarkley on 2007-01-02 02:19:50-08]

I have been running ExifTool ver 6.66 against some .nef images from a Nikon D200. I had the year off by 1 for a large number of images and want to fix that.

The dates are named and are of the format:  exif:DateTimeOriginal: 2006-04-16T06:53:04.24-04:00 and exif:DateTimeDigitized: 2006-04-16T06:53:04.24-04:00.  When I run the commandline exiftool "-DateTime Original+=1:: 0" h:\redate, I get the message "Warning:  entries in IFD0 were out of sequence. Fixed." -h:\redate/_DSC0328.NEF. It does update one of the fields, though. When I run this using -AllDates, all date fields get advanced by 1 year, including some that don't need to be. That's the characteristic of  -AllDates, I suspect.

I ran the -AllDates against some files that had both .nef and .xmp. It did only 1 .xmp, and changed only the DateTimeOriginal. The DateTimeDigitized was not changed. I would like to change only the DateTimeDigitized and DateTimeOriginal in both exif and XMP areas. Is this possible?

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2007-01-02 12:40:11-08]

The "out of sequence" warning is issued because according to the TIFF specification
the tags must be in numerical order within an IFD.  Since NEF is TIFF-based, this is
checked, but the warning is non-critical.

AllDates is a shortcut for DateTimeOriginal, CreateDate and ModifyDate.  If you
don't want all of these changed, or if you want to change other dates, then you can
specify the ones you want individually on the command line.

Archive

[Originally posted by rmarkley on 2007-01-02 14:39:37-08]

Thanks for your quick response.

I think that I found at least one of the problem areas. The .nef files that I was converting the dates on had all been touched either by Adobe Bridge or IDimager to add keywords. this must have messed with the order. When I ran exifTool against some .nef files that were "untouched" right out of camera, the date correction ran OK with no error messages.

The program will change the DateTimeOriginal and nothing else, if I put that in the command line, i.e. exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal+=1:: 0" h:\redate. all dates get changed if I run this with AllDates.  The command line won't run if I use DateTimeDigitized. Is It possible to change only DateTimeOriginal and DateTimeDigitized, and not change ModifyDate. Is CreateDate the command I should use to change DateTimeDigitized? I will go check that.

Archive

[Originally posted by rmarkley on 2007-01-02 14:41:20-08]

Thanks for your quick response.

I think that I found at least one of the problem areas. The .nef files that I was converting the dates on had all been touched either by Adobe Bridge or IDimager to add keywords. this must have messed with the order. When I ran exifTool against some .nef files that were "untouched" right out of camera, the date correction ran OK with no error messages.

The program will change the DateTimeOriginal and nothing else, if I put that in the command line, i.e. exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal+=1:: 0" h:\redate. all dates get changed if I run this with AllDates.  The command line won't run if I use DateTimeDigitized. Is It possible to change only DateTimeOriginal and DateTimeDigitized, and not change ModifyDate. Is CreateDate the command I should use to change DateTimeDigitized? I will go check that.

Archive

[Originally posted by rmarkley on 2007-01-02 15:06:56-08]

CreateDate does indeed change only DateTimeDigitized. So, the command line I will use is exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal+=1:: 0" "-CreateDate+=1:: 0" h:\redate to update files in the redate folder.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2007-01-02 15:28:56-08]

No you've got me confused.  Writing CreateDate only changes CreateDate.
Perhaps it is called DateTimeDigitized by some other application?