Wolfbox Dashcam GPS Data

Started by sidepipe, March 28, 2024, 02:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidepipe

I've just purchased a Wolfbox G900 and am trying to work out how to extract the GPS data from its mp4 files - haven't had much luck so far ( though I haven't looked far if I'm honest - posting here because someone may already have the answer with some exiftool options! ) I think that track 2 might contain the data - and exiftool claims it's gpmd. Here's the output of -ee3 -U -G3:1 -api requestall=3 -api largefilesupport for track 2:

[Track2]        Track Header Version            : 0
[Track2]        Track Create Date               : 2024:03:26 12:36:42
[Track2]        Track Modify Date               : 2024:03:26 12:36:42
[Track2]        Track ID                        : 2
[Track2]        Track Duration                  : 23.00 s
[Track2]        Track Layer                     : 0
[Track2]        Track Volume                    : 100.00%
[Track2]        Matrix Structure                : 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
[Track2]        Unknown edts                    : (Binary data 28 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Track2]        Media Header Version            : 0
[Track2]        Media Create Date               : 0000:00:00 00:00:00
[Track2]        Media Modify Date               : 0000:00:00 00:00:00
[Track2]        Media Time Scale                : 120000
[Track2]        Media Duration                  : 23.00 s
[Track2]        Handler Class                   : Data Handler
[Track2]        Handler Type                    : NRT Metadata
[Track2]        Handler Description             : ShenShu MetaData
[Track2]        Gen Media Version               : 0
[Track2]        Gen Flags                       : 0 0 0
[Track2]        Gen Graphics Mode               : srcCopy
[Track2]        Gen Op Color                    : 0 0 0
[Track2]        Gen Balance                     : 0
[Track2]        Meta Format                     : gpmd
[Track2]        Time To Sample Table            : (Binary data 16 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Track2]        Sample To Chunk                 : (Binary data 20 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Track2]        Sample Sizes                    : (Binary data 472 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Track2]        Chunk Offset                    : (Binary data 468 bytes, use -b option to extract)

It claims a media duration of 23s, but this particular file is only 4.6s. I'm guessing that the actual data is one of the binary blobs? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here...?

StarGeek

Run this command to see if it has any GPS data.  If exiftool can read it, it should output a long listing

exiftool -G1 -a -s -GPS* -ee3 file.mp4

If exiftool doesn't list anything and you think the file should have some, Phil would need a small sample file to see if it's new, and he can add it.

Make sure you're using the latest version of exiftool, ver 12.81.  Type this to see your version
exiftool -ver

Understand, there really isn't a standard for embedding GPS data (technically there is, but nobody uses it). Exiftool can currently read 72 different formats and there are some more formats which haven't been decoded, with more formats popping up all the time.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

If you could upload the file somewhere I'll take a look.  I may have to add support for this format.  You can post the link here or mail it to me: philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I got the sample.  This is a new format for me.  I'll take a look at it when I get a chance and post back here when I know more.  Give me a couple of days.  Unfortunately this uses the same packet ID as GoPro, but the structure is completely different.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I've been able to decode GPS from this sample, and ExifTool 12.82 will include this support.

- Phil

sidepipe

Thank you Phil for all of the hard work on exiftool! It's greatly appreciated :)