Homebrew. How long does that usually take and who's doing it?

Started by MtnBiker, April 05, 2024, 08:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtnBiker

Homebrew is a very convenient way to add apps and things like exiftool for macOS. Most of the time a delay doesn't matter much to me, but I'm curious to try Geolocation feature. And Brew is about three months behind on releases for exiftool. I can wait, but was interested in the timeline.

So am curious about the timeline and process.

StarGeek

No idea about it but I faintly recall something along the lines that it only updates to the Production releases (see ExifTool Version History).  You would have to contact them for details.

Normally, you can just extract the main archive on the main page and overwrite the current version, but I notice that the install formula edits lib/Image/ExifTool.pm and the main exiftool file.  The first changes the LargeFileSupport default and the second changes the file path in the exiftool file.  The second edit might cause problems if you overwrite the currently installed version, though I'm not sure.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

MtnBiker

Production release makes sense since that's the version I've got, 12.76.

What determines a production release or more importantly to me, when is the next production release likely to occur or is that just whenever?

I'm not going to override Brew. I've got enough issues with keeping things up to date.

Thanks for the answer.

StarGeek

Searching the forums, I see that wywh uses MacPorts, which appears to use the current version.

From a previous post
Quote from: passerby12 on May 18, 2021, 04:40:33 AMI have it installed via Homebrew. They usually distribute only stable versions...

Quote from: MtnBiker on April 05, 2024, 09:42:35 PMWhat determines a production release or more importantly to me, when is the next production release likely to occur or is that just whenever?

It's up to Phil.
Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 13, 2016, 09:07:45 AM(Not that the dev releases are unstable, but just that I like to allow the dust to settle for a while after a new feature is added before calling it a production release -- this gives me time to tweak the new feature without potentially affecting as many users.)
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

greybeard

If you need a more recent release its quick and easy to instal the MacOS version of exiftool from the web site (so long as MacoS permits this method of installing the code).

This is the way I do it as I prefer to have access to the most recent development version of exiftool.

wywh

Quote from: MtnBiker on April 05, 2024, 08:29:39 PMcurious to try Geolocation feature

You can try a static binary while waiting: Download the desired version (12.82, for example) .tar.gz, uncompress it, cd to that folder (or use the path), and run exiftool via:

./exiftool -ver

./exiftool -a -G1 -s -api Geolocation=14.79354,75.40448
[ExifTool]      GeolocationCity                 : Hāveri
[ExifTool]      GeolocationRegion               : Karnataka
[ExifTool]      GeolocationSubregion            : Haveri
[ExifTool]      GeolocationCountryCode          : IN
[ExifTool]      GeolocationCountry              : India
[ExifTool]      GeolocationTimeZone             : Asia/Kolkata
[ExifTool]      GeolocationFeatureCode          : PPL
[ExifTool]      GeolocationPopulation           : 60000
[ExifTool]      GeolocationPosition             : 14.7936, 75.4043
[ExifTool]      GeolocationDistance             : 0.00 km
[ExifTool]      GeolocationBearing              : 0

or use the path:

/Users/matti/Desktop/Image-ExifTool-12.82/exiftool -a -api Geolocation='Santiago,Ica'
Geolocation City                : Santiago
Geolocation Region              : Ica
Geolocation Subregion           : Provincia de Ica
Geolocation Country Code        : PE
Geolocation Country             : Peru
Geolocation Time Zone           : America/Lima
Geolocation Feature Code        : PPL
Geolocation Population          : 10000
Geolocation Position            : -14.1847, -75.7113

If macOS XProtect complains about unnotarized binary, you can right-click it in the Finder > Open to bypass the check. Or remove quarantine flag:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine exiftool
- Matti

Phil Harvey

Yes.  You don't need to install it.  Just download the .tar.gz package, expand it, and run it from there.

The next production release is probably about a month away.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).