Recursive scan - depth level of subfolders

Started by fantasticn, April 07, 2024, 04:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantasticn

I have stumbled across the Exiftool and the possibilities it offers are amazing. But I have not found out about a certain thing:

I have a "pictures"-folders with several subfolders and "sub-sub"-folders. If I use the option -r Exiftool will scan all subfolders. However, is there a way I can limit the scan to only a certain depth level, e.g. -r1 to only scan the first layer of subfolders or -r2 to scan the first and second layer of subfolders?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

StarGeek

Sorry, there aren't any options for the -r (-recurse) option to limit depth.

You can use the -ext (-extension) option to change what file types are processed and you can use the -i (-Ignore) option to ignore specific directories, but that's about it.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

What o/s are you using?  On Mac/Linux you can do something like this to scan a specific level (3 levels down in this example), but I doubt this works in Windows:

exiftool */*/*/*.jpg ...

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).