Main Menu

Unwanted value saved to file

Started by Grongok, May 05, 2024, 09:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grongok

Not really a bug but might catch unwary:

If I select tag field in workspace and edit a tag, then press Enter, the cursor (selection) moves to the next field by default.

I can then press Enter again to move to the next field. A great way to 'tab' through fields, you think. However, unless you're paying attention you'll see that the default Value '-' of the field just passed is now highlighted for saving. And when clicking Save, the tags passed through with Value '-' are now saved to file.

That the value '-' has been saved to file is not apparent in ExiftoolGUI because the tag field in Workspace looks identical to default; ie '-'.

And there appears to be no way to remove the tag from file in ExiftoolGUI.

FrankB

FrankB

I see what you mean. Good catch!
This behaviour was already there in V516, I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it before.
Will think of a solution and keep you posted

FrankB

I have created an issue for this:
https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/issues/409

You can download a prerel here:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhVJC-QzM33pknOS7KwBi09lgNql?e=n7ztFX

- The change is that a tag will only be marked to save (prefixed with an *) when data is actually entered.
- To remove a tag value (like -) just clear the text, press Enter and click Save.

Grongok

That's great.

About deleting tag. I did what you said but the tag is only blanked, not deleted.

It occurs to me that one can of course use the exiftool direct facility to remove tag.

FrankB

Quote from: Grongok on May 06, 2024, 09:17:50 PMIt occurs to me that one can of course use the exiftool direct facility to remove tag.

That's right. But what would the command be? I think something like: '-xmp-dc:Subject='
If you open the log window before you press Save, you can see that GUI does that also. See screenshot.

logwindow.jpg

I'm no ExifTool expert, so dont take my opinion for granted. If you want to know more about removing tags please post your query in an appropiate group.

And if it turns out GUI needs to be changed, let me know.

Phil Harvey

Yes, that syntax (-TAG=) should delete the tag if it is writable, with a few exceptions (makernote tags, and tags in binary data structures).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).