Canon EOS R5 "Subject to Detect"

Started by JohnMoyer, May 23, 2024, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnMoyer

Thanks for providing exiftool.
For me there is no urgency to this, but I was just curious.

Subject to Detect
https://cam.start.canon/hy/C003/manual/html/UG-04_AF-Drive_0050.html#AF-Drive_0050_4

exiftool -s -G0:2 -a -U -w out/%f_%e.txt /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_988[5-9].CR3 /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_9890.CR3
egrep Canon_AFConfig_0x0014 out/*
out/IMG_9887_CR3.txt:[MakerNotes:Camera] Canon_AFConfig_0x0014       : 1
out/IMG_9888_CR3.txt:[MakerNotes:Camera] Canon_AFConfig_0x0014       : 2
out/IMG_9889_CR3.txt:[MakerNotes:Camera] Canon_AFConfig_0x0014       : 3
out/IMG_9890_CR3.txt:[MakerNotes:Camera] Canon_AFConfig_0x0014       : 0

0 is None
1 is People
2 is Animals
3 is Vehicles

My camera does not have a separate setting for aircraft, but some cameras might

JohnMoyer

Canon_AFConfig_0x0018

https://cam.start.canon/hy/C003/manual/html/UG-04_AF-Drive_0050.html#AF-Drive_0050_5

Eye Detection
0 disable
1 enable

JohnMoyer

[MakerNotes:Camera] AFAssistBeam                : Unknown (4)
https://cam.start.canon/hy/C003/manual/html/UG-04_AF-Drive_0090.html#AF-Drive_0090_3

On EOS R5, it appears that "Unknown (4)" is:
"
[LED] LED AF assist beam only

Enables LED AF-assist beam firing by Speedlites equipped with this feature, when these flash units are attached. If your Speedlite is not LED-equipped, the camera's AF-assist beam is fired instead.
"

JohnMoyer

For EOS R5

exiftool -s -G0:2 -a -U -USMLensElectronicMF /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_990[5-8].CR3 
======== /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_9905.CR3
[MakerNotes:Camera] USMLensElectronicMF        : Disable in AF Mode
======== /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_9906.CR3
[MakerNotes:Camera] USMLensElectronicMF        : Enable After AF
======== /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_9907.CR3
[MakerNotes:Camera] USMLensElectronicMF        : Disable After AF
======== /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_9908.CR3
[MakerNotes:Camera] USMLensElectronicMF        : Unknown (3)
    4 image files read

https://cam.start.canon/hy/C003/manual/html/UG-04_AF-Drive_0110.html#AF-Drive_0110_1-1

It appears that "USMLensElectronicMF        : Unknown (3)" is "[Disable in AF mode] Disable in AF mode

Manual focus adjustment is disabled when the lens's focus mode switch is set to AF."

This might vary by type of lens attached.

Phil Harvey

This is great, thanks!  I've been quite busy recently but I'll add these when I get a chance.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JohnMoyer

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 24, 2024, 04:00:02 PMThis is great, thanks!  I've been quite busy recently but I'll add these when I get a chance.

- Phil

No rush. Thanks again.

I just realized that the URLs I included are accidentally hy language instead of en. Editing the URL to en will get one the English version. My browser translated it for me, so I did not notice.

Martin B.

Hi,

I could replicate all of John's observations on my Canon R6 with ExifTool 12.76. (Thanks John!)

However, the wording of the USMLensElectronicMF values seems incorrect. ExifTool converts these values as follows:
2: Disable in AF Mode
0: Enable After AF
1: Disable After AF
3: Unknown (3)
but the Canon user manuals for the R5 and R6, and the menu on my camera, look like this:
2: Disable after One-Shot
0: One-Shot->enabled
1: One-Shot->enabled (magnify)
3: Disable in AF mode
Note in particular that ExifTool currently reports value 2 as Disable in AF mode. Reporting value 3 also with the same string would be confusing.

This is with firmware 1.8.3 of the R6, with a Canon RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM attached.
I checked the manual for firmware version 1.4, and the available settings for this were the same, so I doubt these values have changed meaning recently.

Reference for the Canon R5: Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Customizing AF Functions : Lens electronic MF
Reference for the Canon R6: Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 : Customizing AF Functions : Lens electronic MF (this section is identical to the R5)

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  I'll assume that the new definition for USMLensElectronicMF applies to all EOS R models, and treat them differently.  I'll also add the new values for other tags.  These changes will appear in ExifTool 12.86.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JohnMoyer

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 07, 2024, 08:45:31 AMThanks.  I'll assume that the new definition for USMLensElectronicMF applies to all EOS R models, and treat them differently.  I'll also add the new values for other tags.  These changes will appear in ExifTool 12.86.

- Phil
Thanks!