Changing HandlerVendorID information in metadata using exiftool

Started by Lastar, June 15, 2024, 12:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lastar

Good evening!
According to this info: https://exiftool.org/TagNames/QuickTime.html
We can't write directly into HandlerVendorID, but we can change using variables (like "appl" or "ZORA") - look at QuickTime VendorID Values
But the field "HandlerVendorID" doesn't change for me.
What have I tried:
1) Using HandlerVendorID directly (Apple)
2) Using HandlerVendorID with variables (appl)
3) Same but with VendorID

StarGeek

Exiftool cannot write those tags. The QuickTime VendorID Values table is simply the lookup table for the raw values exiftool extracts for the HandlerVendorID.

Edit: Searching Google for some ffmpeg commands, it looks like editing it requires the use of ffmpeg's -metadata:s option.  The s on the end of that indicates that the stream data needs to be edited and exiftool doesn't edit most video stream data except for the time stamps.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Lastar

Quote from: StarGeek on June 15, 2024, 12:07:00 PMExiftool cannot write those tags. The QuickTime VendorID Values table is simply the lookup table for the raw values exiftool extracts for the HandlerVendorID.

Edit: Searching Google for some ffmpeg commands, it looks like editing it requires the use of ffmpeg's -metadata:s option.  The s on the end of that indicates that the stream data needs to be edited and exiftool doesn't edit most video stream data except for the time stamps.
I see, sad. Okay, can i add similar tag for empty video? Like what if i refactor video using any other programs (to remove VendorID at all), and then add it, creating a new field?

StarGeek

It doesn't matter what hoops you jump through, exiftool cannot write those tags. That's it, plain and simple.

Look into ffmpeg. Its main focus if video files, and it may be able to edit this data.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).