Feature Request: Large File Support by default

Started by unkn0wn, June 30, 2024, 12:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unkn0wn

In Linux Ubuntu 24.04 by using a command like exiftool -All= test.mp4 results in Error: End of processing at large atom (LargeFileSupport not enabled) if the file is bigger than 4 Gigabyte.

Using a command like exiftool -api largefilesupport=1 -All= test.mp4 solves the problem. But i would like exiftool to support big files by default, especially when working with reg. expressions. and big amounts of datafiles  :)  All people i know using exiftool do not know why it is not a default setting.

StarGeek

See this post.

You can set it to be always on using the Options section of an .exiftool_config file. See the example.config file and add a line to the Options section
     LargeFileSupport => 1,
Edit: I actually gave an example in the post directly above the one I linked above.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

I think there have been enough people requesting this change, so...

ExifTool 12.88 will make LargeFileSupport 2 by default, and issue a warning when a large atom is encountered.  Set this to 1 to avoid the warning.  LargeFileSupport settings of 0 and 1 will behave the same as older versions.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).