ExifTool version 12.88 can not be downloaded and installed by the GUI Installer

Started by FrankB, July 11, 2024, 01:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

As you may have noticed. The procedure for downloading and installing ExifTool has changed with V12.88.

I do think the changes will solve some problems, so a good idea. But it also has a downside. The GUI installer, that was plagued lately by MS Defender, is now unable to download and install that version automatically. For the time being, you can download and install it manually, or choose the Oliver Betz installer.

I will be updating the GUI Installer, but it can take some time.

Frank

Phil Harvey

Hi Frank,

I knew there would be some teething pains.  I'm sorry about that.  One possible work around is to temporarily patch your release to use ExifTool 12.87 until the new format can be supported.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FrankB

No problem Phil. I think the new solution is better.

I figured that there would be a day that the automatic install would fail, when I created it. No one else to blame but me for being stubborn to go ahead! The amount of work for me to change it will not be that big, but for users it could be frustating at first.

Your suggestion to use 12.87 will not help, for 2 reasons. 1) It will also require a new installer. 2) The installer reads https:\\exiftool.org\ver.txt to get the current version.
You could change ver.txt to 12.87 and that would work for the installer, but I have no idea what havoc that would create elsewhere.

Will update this thread as soon as I have something.
Frank

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks.  And my apologies again.  I really try not to make incompatible changes like this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FrankB

I got the installer working again. Wasn't too much work. Need some more time to test possible combinations and update the docs.

Frank

Phil Harvey

Phil Harvey