In which cases does the "X image files created" message appears?

Started by frankitox, August 28, 2024, 02:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankitox

Hi!

I found in my server logs sometimes this message and I'd like to know exactly when it's printed. I'm using the `-stay_open` feature and I always set the `-overwrite_original` flag. When looking at the code I saw the `$countGoodCr` only used in this and that place. If I read the code correctly, only the later line is executed right? But I can't understand why.

Here's an example of the parameters I send to exiftool:

["-overwrite_original"
 "-ignoreMinorErrors"
 "-xmp:all="
 "-iptc:Headline=A one photo gallery"
 "-iptc:DateCreated=20240719"
 "-iptc:Province-State=Chubut Province"
 "-iptc:Sub-location=Chubut"
 "-iptc:City=-"
 "-iptc:Credit=Gallery Creator #3558"
 "-iptc:By-line=Alice"
 "-iptc:EditStatus="
 "-iptc:Country-PrimaryLocationName=Argentina"
 "-iptc:Caption-Abstract="
 "-ImageDescription="
 "-Description="
 "-xmp:UsageTerms=All rights reserved"
 "-iptc:CopyrightNotice=Alice"
 "-iptc:Keywords="
 "-Artist=Alice"
 "-Rating=2"
 "/tmp/coco.jpg"
 "-execute"]

StarGeek

I haven't really paid attention, but it should appear only when a file is created. This can be the -o (-out) option or the -w (-TextOut) option/-W (-TagOut) option. But it can also be when creating a sidecar file, such as an XMP file (see Metadata Sidecar Files).

Offhand, I can't think of anything else right now, but there may something else.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

The -w options are for "text" files so the don't count toward the image files created.  But I need to look into how this could happen when you use -overwrite_original

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 29, 2024, 03:46:59 PMThe -w options are for "text" files so the don't count toward the image files created.

Ah, yes, my mistake. The output for that was
1 output files created
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

The only way that you will get an "image file created" when using -overwrite_original is if there was no file to begin with.  ExifTool has the ability to create metdata-only "image" files (the ones with "C" in the Support column here), and it must be that one of those was created.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).