Blank location data fields in case of EXIF version 0231

Started by Laczkó, Today at 05:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laczkó

Hi,

The Exiftool gives blank fields for location data since my phone's camera app started using a new exif version, the 0231 (I downloaded the newest available exiftool version — 12.99 —, but it didn't solve the problem). I attached a sample picture and also a txt file with all the metadata that the android app Aves Galery was able to extract from the photo which shows that WGS84 coordinates are available in the image, just the exiftool doesn't see them.

Phil Harvey

There are no GPS coordinates in this file.  Either they exist elsewhere on the phone or they were stripped from the file when you transferred it from the phone.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Laczkó

I can transfer the photos with the earlier exif version in any way from my phone to my PC, the position data won't be removed from the files, but I can't read the position data of the images with the new exif version after transfering them via blutooth, email, or any cloud drive so I thought that the problem should be with the exiftool. I didn't assume that somehow all these transfer methods are able to keep position data if earlier exif version used, but neither of them can if the newer exif version used, it seemed too ridiculously absurd to even think of it, but in fact, that is the case as it turned out when finally I've tried to copy the files via USB and those files' position datas was readable. Sorry for asking for unnecessary help.

Phil Harvey

It isn't the first time that I have seen a post like this.

I understand that it doesn't seem right that ExifTool is more reliable at handling metadata than major software companies (eg. Microsoft, Adobe, Apple), but sadly this is the case.  :(

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).