mp3: Bitrate query

Started by linuxuser, May 13, 2010, 10:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linuxuser

exiftool -AudioBitrate always shows 128000. I would like to know the average bitrate of the mp3-file, which was encoded with a lame preset.

Phil Harvey

Can send me a sample file?  (philharvey66 at gmail.com)
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the samples.  These use a variable-bit-rate encoding, and the bitrate can be calculated from the values of other tags.  I will add a new Composite AudioBitrate tag which will do this calculation for VBR files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

linuxuser

Thanks Phil, does this mean, that the bitrate of files with CBR cannot be queried using this field?

Phil Harvey

Quote from: linuxuser on May 18, 2010, 08:46:20 AM
Thanks Phil, does this mean, that the bitrate of files with CBR cannot be queried using this field?

The MPEG:AudioBitrate tag will still exist.  With "exiftool -audiobitrate FILE", the MPEG:AudioBitrate will be extracted for CBR files and the new Composite:AudioBitrate tag will be extracted for VBR files.  Of course, you can always extract both with -a, or either one specifically by specifying the group name.

- Phil