removing exif data so it can't show up even in exiftool

Started by nnoidone, June 25, 2010, 07:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nnoidone

Hi,

I use GraphicConverter for Mac to view and edit my pictures. I would like to send/post some of these pictures online but do not want to include all the exif information that shows up when I click on the "EXIFTOOLS" box in the "Information" window that GraphicConverter displays with each picture.

I was able to delete the exif information using the Cocoviewer freeware app, but when I then open the picture in GraphicConverter, all the private information I wanted to delete from the exif file still shows up in the "EXIFTOOL" information box. :(

How can I remove ALL the exif information so that NONE shows up, even in EXIFTOOL?

Thanks!!! :)

Phil Harvey

The following command will do what you want:

exiftool -all= FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

nnoidone

I think I figured it out...what I'm seeing in the "EXIFTOOLS" window in GraphicConverter is only the information about the location, date, etc. of that particular picture at that time...since the EXIF window is blank, I think that means that if it's sent to someone else, they will only see the EXIFTOOLS info for the picture on their computer (assuming they HAVE EXIFTOOLS ;) lol)

Let me know if that's correct...and, if not, what I'm missing :)

Thanks!  :D

Phil Harvey

GraphicConverter displays the result of the following command:

exiftool -a -g1 FILE

which will show the following basic information about a JPEG image even if it contains no metadata:

---- ExifTool ----
ExifTool Version Number         : 8.24
---- System ----
File Name                       : a.jpg
Directory                       : /Users/phil/Desktop
File Size                       : 1183 kB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2010:06:26 19:54:36-04:00
File Permissions                : rw-r--r--
---- File ----
File Type                       : JPEG
MIME Type                       : image/jpeg
Image Width                     : 4288
Image Height                    : 3216
Encoding Process                : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample                 : 8
Color Components                : 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling            : YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)
---- Composite ----
Image Size                      : 4288x3216

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).