Warning for malformed GPS tags...

Started by ace_dent, July 29, 2010, 07:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ace_dent

Howdy

I  have a large number of geotagged files, with GPS data visible in Exiftool that causes some problems in Geosetter.
I originally posted this bug (and sample image) with Geosetter here: http://www.geosetter.de/mantis/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=617

Testing revealed the problem is with a specific incorrectly formed GPS tag, e.g.
GPS:ImgDirection = 0 0 2.26939...

It seems three rational numbers are stored(?), rather than one Rational64u as specified by exiftool. Also, the exif standard suggests an angle 0 - 360...

It would be useful if exiftool provided a minor warning to the user of the malformed gps tag(s). With ImgDirection a simple sanity check should be possible.

Just for info: the file was geocoded back in 2008 using the following process:
- From Google Earth, a KML file was created for a location.
- Using iTag (with Microsoft's WIC under the hood), the KML location was used to geocode the jpeg.
- I suspect the KML camera properties (Tilt Roll Bearing?) may have been used...
- Due to software updates, the bug seems to be fixed (/can no longer be recreated).

Cheers,
Andrew

Phil Harvey

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this isn't a feature that I want to add.

I don't pretend to fully validate all information, for two reasons:

1) exiftool would spew so many warnings that it would become useless for most people.

2) it would slow down exiftool processing

I do issue warnings for some things which I already need to check for and I think are important enough, but in general I don't validate any of the existing individual tag values.

I hope this makes sense.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).