News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Bulk processing from input file

Started by Limes77, August 04, 2010, 09:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limes77

I have a file that contains a list of image files and tags that I want updated for each file.  I have a program that reads the file and calls exiftool for each line with the tags that need to get updated. Obviously this takes quite a while for a large file with hundreds or thousands of files.  Is there a better way to go about this in some sort of bulk operation? I can restructure my file in any way that would help this process.

Thank you.

Phil Harvey

It will save a lot of time if you can call exiftool once to do all of the processing.  If you write the file as a list of exiftool arguments and separate the commands with -execute options then you can use the -@ option to load the file and process all images with a single invocation of exiftool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Limes77

I did see the -execute option but wasn't sure if it was applicable to my situation. I will definitely try it. Thanks!