Wildcard command fails to change first file in directory

Started by arber8, October 04, 2010, 02:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arber8

I have created 66 PNG images (with transparent backgrounds) in a directory. They're all created in the same way.

I run the following exiftool command, from a command prompt:
C:\Temp>exiftool.pl -all= -overwrite_original *.png
and I then get the following messages:
64 image files updated
1 image files unchanged

When I check the date modified values, I can see that it is the first file in the directory that hasn't been changed.

Oddly, if I make a copy of the first file, and name the copy so that it appears as the first file alphabetically, and then run the command again, I get the following output
1 image files updated
65 image files unchanged

When I then check the date-modified values, the file that didn't change originally (which is now 2nd in the directory), HAS changed, but the copied file (which was first in the directory), hasn't changed.

Exiftool: 8.29

Phil Harvey

Are there any warnings or errors?  It could be that some antivirus software is locking the first file that exiftool is trying to write and causing it to fail.

I have seen Norton Internet Security cause a similar problem.  If you are running this software, try changing your settings:

QuoteNorton Internet Security --> Settings --> Computer Settings --> Exclusions/Low Risks --> Scan Exclusions (Configure)...
Then in the Configure panel, in both Scan Exclusions and Auto-Protect Exclusions add a definition for all files of the temporary file type:
        *.png_exiftool_tmp

- Phil

Edit:  The quote is from a geosetter bug report in case anyone is interested.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

arber8

No other warnings or messages.

I hadn't considered the AV. I'm using Kaspersky AV, and it does pop-up a bubble when I run some other command based scripts (cmd calling a vbs), but there's no visible sign of anything while exiftool.pl is running.
I'm using a trial of Kaspersk, but am planning on changing to MS Security essentials, so will make the switch before I try again.

Phil Harvey

I would have expected ExifTool to issue a warning if this was the cause, so it may be something else.  Any more testing you could do would be useful.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).