Main Menu

ExifToolGUI gets stuck

Started by Heidi, October 10, 2010, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heidi

Hi Bogdan,

how many files can I choose for batchprocessing? ExifToolGUI always gets stuck if I choose more than 50 or 60 files.

Besides, I recognised that it would be nice, if there would be a sign that shows that ExifTool is working  d u r i n g  it is working :)
Something what shows, that it still works and how far the work is progressed.  A sign lik a progress bar. Or: that in the status line below the file names of the files run through which are just worked on. Or in the status line is indicated: file 10 of 51, file 11 of 51 etc. Maybe an idea for the next version?

After ExifToolGUI stopped responding, I always must finish it with the task manager.
Is there no way to run the batch mode for more then 50-60 files?

Thank you for helping!
Greetings
Heidi

BogdanH

Hi Heidi,

Number of files for batchprocessing isn't limited by GUI. I've tried about 300+ files and it works (f course, it's almost impossible to check all possible combinations). But, I believe you and I know what you're talking about.

Everytime GUI calls Exiftool, mouse pointer changes it's appearance to "busy sandhour" ("busy circle" in Win7) -for user, this is a signal, that Exiftool is working. When Exiftool finishes, mouse pointer returns to normal (arrow). The problem is, while Exiftool is processing a lot of files (which takes time) and you click somewhere on GUI, then you can get "not responding" message. The thing is, GUI is indeed not responding (because it's waiting for Exiftool to finish) -but Exiftool is continuing it's work behind (unless, you break all with Task Manager).
The only solution I know (when working on a lot of files), is: wait "patiently" until Exitool finishes job behind (that is, until mouse cursor gets arrow shape) -then continue to work with GUI.

Why no "progress bar", "file counter" or any other feedback? Because (as far I know), Exiftool doesn't return any messages while it's working -there's no way, user/GUI could know, which file (of files specified) Exiftool is currently processing. Of course, GUI could call Exiftool separately for each selected file (in this case giving feedback is piece of cake), but that would slowdown processing very, very much.
I know, that there must be a way to at least avoid "not responding" message (if Exiftool is working behind) -I just don't know the solution yet.
It's no secret, that I'm not a professional programmer (so my knowledge is limited) and that GUI is just my hobby "project". Anyway, I'll try to figure something out in this regard.

Thank you for showing interest.
Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

Quote from: BogdanH on October 10, 2010, 04:09:42 PM
Why no "progress bar", "file counter" or any other feedback? Because (as far I know), Exiftool doesn't return any messages while it's working -there's no way, user/GUI could know, which file (of files specified) Exiftool is currently processing.

The -v0 option is provided for exactly this purpose.  With this option, exiftool outputs only the names of the files being processed, and flushes the output buffer after each line so your application can read them immediately.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi Phil,

Thank you for info about -v0 option.. -it seems to be exactly what's needed. I must agree with Heidi, that the way GUI does right now (when working on many files), isn't user friendly at all.
There seems to be another solution for current GUI behaviour (ET independant), but I admit being too lazy to try it. Well, there aren't any excuses anymore :)

Bogdan

Heidi

Hi Bogdan,

thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately, in my case the "busy circle" sometimes seems only quite short (few seconds) after the click on "save" and then disappears. Nevertheless, ExifTool also is working without I see the "busy circle". Then at the end comes the window with the info that "x images files are updated".

However, the program sometimes really gets stuck. With the "busy circle" or without.
It simply happens nothing more, I have already waited until 45 minutes. In the end I have to close with the task manager.

Sometimes I get the information "bad format......." I have such files quite often. Could this be the cause?

Quote from: BogdanH on October 10, 2010, 04:09:42 PM
It's no secret, that I'm not a professional programmer (so my knowledge is limited) and that GUI is just my hobby "project".

And it is great that you make easier the work to us with this helpful user interface!!

Greetings from
Heidi

BogdanH

Hi Heidi,

Sorry being late answering..
I believe you, what you said above (even GUI doesn't get stuck on my PC). Without going much into details, right now, I'm working hard to reduce such problems to minimum in next major GUI version. I can't predict when it will be ready, because it depends on so many things... free time, among others  :-\

No, no matter what files you have, GUI shouldn't get stuck because of that -at least, that was the idea behind  :). Thus, if you have some "suspicious" image file (like saying "bad format.."), then you should get that file available somewhere, so we (Phil, actually) can try to findout the cause of error -I mean, you don't want to have "bad format.." images in your album.

That is for now. Keep comming back here...

Bogdan

Heidi

Hi Bogdan.

now I have found out which photos generate the error messages and will send Phil 2 files.
Thank you.

Greetings-
Heidi

Phil Harvey

Hi Heidi,

Thanks, I got your samples.  This is what I get when writing the images you sent:

> exiftool -artist=me tmp
Warning: Bad format (0) for NikonScanIFD entry 0. IFD dropped. - tmp/Image1.jpg
Warning: [minor] Maker notes could not be parsed - tmp/Image2.jpg
    1 directories scanned
    2 image files updated

These warnings do not cause problems.  The NikonScanIFD problem is common and commonly happens if you edit an image containing the NikonScanIFD with any other image editing software.  Luckily there is no useful information in the NikonScanIFD, so dropping it is the right thing to do.

The second warning just indicates that Exiftool can't parse the makernotes to be sure any offsets are properly updated.  So ExifTool treats them as a black box and copies them byte-for-byte.  This is the way most other image editors handle the maker notes, but it isn't up to the usual Exiftool standards so a warning is issued.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Heidi

Thank you, Phil, for your friendly help!

Greetings
Heidi